VMware Cloud Community
JUMBO23
Contributor
Contributor

Connect ESXi4.1 hosts to new VCenter 5.1

Hello,

Please advise what the best course of action is to associate existing 4.1 ESXi hosts to new VCenter 5.1?

The reason I am having to take this course of action is that the existing VCenter 5.1 is no longer accessible, although the service is running. I had a cluster on this original VCenter with HA enabled

Can I just attempt to connect the two ESXi hosts to the new VCenter without it affecting the running of VM's. There are no distributed switches being used

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Jumbo,

If you use Standard Switch, simply remove the old inventory hosts, delete the cluster, and create and add it again in the new vCenter.

There was no impact in this scenario.

Some scenarios that may impact:
- EVC enabled in the cluster
- Distributed Switch.

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
JUMBO23
Contributor
Contributor

And if the old/original vcenter that the hosts are connected to is inaccessible?

Thanks

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Sorry,

You can try removing vpxa from host to add to new vcenter.

Via ssh on host run:

/opt/vmware/uninstallers/VMware-vpxa-uninstall.sh

/opt/vmware/uninstallers/VMware-aam-ha-uninstall.sh

after do it try add to new vcenter

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
JUMBO23
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for that Mauro.

So both of those commands uninstall the Vcenter agent and the HA agent from the ESXi4.1 hosts?

Is there a danger that HA on the cluster will try and restart VMs on the other host after uninstalling the HA agent on the first host? (if that makes sense)

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

So both of those commands uninstall the Vcenter agent and the HA agent from the ESXi4.1 hosts?

Yes.

Is there a danger that HA on the cluster will try and restart VMs on the other host after uninstalling the HA agent on the first host? (if that makes sense)

No. When AAM is uninstalled it is as if the host was removed from the cluster. Once you remove vcenter agent, the host doesn't is a managed by vcenter (vCenter Control HA).

0 Kudos
JUMBO23
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Mauro. I'll give this a try later this afternoon

0 Kudos