VMware Cloud Community
amahmoud
Contributor
Contributor

Disk provision and size

Hi all,

I am using VMware Hypervisor 5.0 , the problem is that after creating the vm machines we decide to expand the hard disk size for some vm machines.. After increasing the size; the disk provision type automatically converted from Thick Provision Eager Zeroed to Thick Lazy Zeored and its taking the new size in vm setting but actually from the server itself its showing the old size even after restart the host and vm machines !!

I need to understand why its converting from Eager to Lazy and why it’s not allowing me to expand the size !!

Thanks for your help..

Abeer

0 Kudos
12 Replies
continuum
Immortal
Immortal

did you already expand the partition from inside the guest ?

amahmoud
Contributor
Contributor

I just did that now Smiley Happy thanks.

but why its automatically converted from Thick Provision Eager Zeroed to Thick Lazy Zeored !!

0 Kudos
Jim4649
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What drive did you try to expand? Was it a data disk (such as a 😧 drive) or the C: drive (with Windows installed)? And what method did you use to expand the disk? vmkfstools? VMware converter? BESR/Arcronis, etc?  Need to know how you expanded it and which partition it was.

Depending on whether it's an OS disk (c:\ drive) or a data disk (D:,etc.) then you'd have to use a different method for each.

0 Kudos
amahmoud
Contributor
Contributor

Hi.. I was trying to expand C drive with vmkfstool then I expand the partition from inside the guest and it worked .. Smiley Happy
but my disk type was Thick Eager and after expanding its becoming lazy zeroed !! any idea plz?

0 Kudos
Jim4649
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

So you had a thick eager disk to begin with, then you expanded it with vmkfstools, which should have kept it as thick-eager. When did it change to lazy zeroed? Right after vmkfstools or right after you expanded the NTFS partition? Have you thought about using the “Inflate” disk option from the vSphere GUI?

0 Kudos
amahmoud
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jim,

After expanding the size from vmkfstools its converted to lazy ..

I know there is a "merge" option in the vspher CUI to change the provisoin type but this oprtion is not showing in hypervisor free product !!

0 Kudos
Jim4649
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try this. Shut down the VM, then remove the disk (detach only, don’t delete!) and save your changes. Then do an Edit Settings again, and re-add the existing disk back to the VM, save changes and see if it still shows as lazy after that.

0 Kudos
amahmoud
Contributor
Contributor

I tried that and after restarting the server its shwoing "BOOTMGR is missing" press ctr alt delete to restart !!

I was trying to boot from windows CD to repair 2008 windows, but after getting this msg I cannot boot from the CD !!

btw the disk type still lazy..

Any idea plz.. Thanks

0 Kudos
OptismTraining
Contributor
Contributor

Try recreating the VM and adding the disk back in on creation, it could be the .vmx file.

Alternatively, clone the vmdk file using vmkfstools -i then re-add in.

Are you using snapshots?

Regards

----

Optism Training

www.optismtraining.com

Personal & Enterprise VMware Lab Rentals and training services.

---- Optism Training www.optismtraining.com Personal & Enterprise VMware Lab Rentals and training services.
0 Kudos
Jim4649
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Check these settings: Make sure the Windows bootable ISO is mapped (see below) and make sure your “Connect” check-marks are on.

If it still doesn’t boot the CD image, power off again and go into Edit Settings, Options tab (see below) put a check-mark to force BIOS setup at next boot.

Then power up and change your boot options to use the CD first.

0 Kudos
amahmoud
Contributor
Contributor

After booting from the CD, I tried to do the repair but it gaves me : windows cannot repair this computer automatically !!

0 Kudos
amahmoud
Contributor
Contributor

I found a solution here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2501318

And the disk provision still lazy.. but now this is not a big issue we can continue with LAZY..

Thanks all for your help Smiley Happy

0 Kudos