VMware Cloud Community
lmon
Contributor
Contributor

ESX 4.1 - can not install a 64bits OS

Hello

I just resintalled a 4.1 ESX

I can select and create a VM in 64bits mode but when I boot from the install CD ( W2003 R2 ent. 64bits ) , it says that my architecture is not in 64bits

I'm running this on a IBM blade 8843 .

I checked booting directly from the windows CD and install perform without any problems.

Is there a trick somewhere ?

Thx

0 Kudos
17 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

You hardware will be 64 ready else you will not be able to install ESX 4.1 in the firs place (they required 64bit). You will need to go to the server bios, and enable Intel VT (or something like that as it differs with other brand). Shut off your blade and Power it up a few minutes later, and you're good to install 64bit VM.

sudhakar13
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

I ve encountered the same Error when i Try installing 64 bit Os in the ESXi Server.

The Workaround is Restart your ESX/ESXi Server and get into BIOS Mode .. In the Bios Menu, Advance Setting, Change the VT option as Enable. and Save and Exit the Bios Menu.

Now you can install 64 bit OS.

All the best Smiley Happy

Thanks & regards

S.Sudhakar

lmon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

thanks to both for your answer

The problem, is that I have no BIOS option .. or nothing called "VT option" or something which sounds like that

it should be in CPU options ? right ?

Options that I have in the BIOS for CPU Options

System cache type

Hyper threading technology

Prefetch queue

Execute disable bit

0 Kudos
kermic
Expert
Expert

To make sure we're on the same page - you have to look into BIOS of your HOST (server hardware).

Look look for CPU advanced options and in there for "Intel VT" or "Virtualization (something)" - set it to "Enabled".

WBR

Imants

0 Kudos
lmon
Contributor
Contributor

yes, here are the screenshots

0 Kudos
kermic
Expert
Expert

Just checked factory data or HS20 8843 (http://www-03.ibm.com/systems/xbc/cog/Withdrawn/bchs20mt8843/bchs20mt8843aag.html)

If I'm right, seems like this model is out quite for a while. Have you checked it against VMware HCL (http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php)?

What model of CPU do you have in there?

WBR

Imants

0 Kudos
sudhakar13
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

Thanks for your information

In your Sever ESX/ESXi host BIOS settings , You just Enable the Execute Bit. Issue Solved.

Regards

S.Sudhakar

0 Kudos
lmon
Contributor
Contributor

mm.. thanks , we are getting closer,

I have this now .

does this means that I can not run 64bits oses through VM ?

I chekced the link and if I understand correctly, that's my problem Smiley Sad

0 Kudos
lmon
Contributor
Contributor

I folllowed the links , downloaded the small cpu check utility from Vmware...

I think I'm f....

0 Kudos
sudhakar13
Contributor
Contributor

hi,

The CPU is Virtual Technology-capable, by default it's disable , We have to enable it in order to install 64 bit OS into it. VM has a capable of running both 32 bit & 64 Bit OS. There is no conditioning to run.

But in 32 Bit CPU , you can't run 64 Bit OS.

Intel CPUs require EM64T and VT support in the chip and in the BIOS to run 64bit virtual machines.

NOTE : Just go through it for your reference

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100394...

Thanks & Regards

S.Sudhakar 

0 Kudos
lmon
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, but I'm not sure, do you confirm that I can not run 64bits ? or I need to find a trick to enabel somehting ?

sorry for my bad enlish and understanding

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

From a quick search on the Intel sites it appears thet the Prescott CPUs in your HS20 8843 do not support Intel-VT and therefore you cannot run 64-bit guests.

André

0 Kudos
sudhakar13
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Does your CPU is 64 bit CPU category.  If it's then You can run 64 Bit OS in your 64 BIT CPU only by enabling VT. As I told earlier , VT is disabled by default.

Check your CPU is 64 BIT CPU or not.

change VMware mode to YES. Did you change the settings? Change it first

Regards

S.Sudhakar

0 Kudos
MauroBonder
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

to me you need check in HCL of VMware first of all to check if is compatible run what do you need.

http://www.vmware.com/resources/compatibility/search.php?action=search&deviceCategory=server&product...[]=24&datePosted=-1&partnerId[]=43&formFactorId[]=1&filterByEVC=0&filterByFT=0&min_sockets=&min_core...

Regards!

*Please, don't forget the awarding points for "helpful" and/or "correct" answers. *Por favor, não esqueça de atribuir os pontos se a resposta foi útil ou resolveu o problema.* Thank you/Obrigado
0 Kudos
lmon
Contributor
Contributor

Hello

After checking, it says that it only support 3.5 ...

Seems that it's the final point

Thanks to all for your help and support ...

0 Kudos
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

ESX/ESXi 4.1 requires 64bit CPU to be installed, If you could get it to install, then the server is already 64bit ready, else you will not be able to login to vpshere client and creating virtual machine.

Also it's in the below BIOS menu: "CPU Options" menu to enable or disable Intel Virtualization Technology (VT).

And from the below link if you could not see the above, you could try to update the latest ibm hardware firmware.

0 Kudos
lmon
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

thanks for the idea

As you can see in one of my previous post in this thread, I don't have this Virtualization option available

I checked as well on IBM site , As I'm currently on BIOS 1.08 ...

http://www-947.ibm.com/support/entry/portal/docdisplay?brand=5000008&lndocid=MIGR-57809

In all the updates of the BIOS, if I'm not wrong, there is no new feature for this virtualization .. Smiley Sad

0 Kudos