VMware Cloud Community
dbrownla
Contributor
Contributor

ESX to ESXi - 12NIC Design

When I first implemented this, it was with ESX4.0 using 4-hosts with 12NICs in each. This included an EqualLogic with Round Robin. The design was:

1NICs – Backup Network (non-routable) - Distributed switch

2NICs – Service console - Distributed switch

2NICs – vMotion (non-routable) - Distributed switch

3NICs – VM Network - Distributed switch

4NICs – iSCSI (non-routable) – Standard virtual switch

With the introduction of EqualLogic firmware v5.0.2, Dell MEM, and ESX4.1; I was able to change the iSCSI network to a distributed switch. Using the Dell MEM rather than Round Robin, I have true load balancing with 2NIC’s and greater throughput. By default from Dell, it only uses 2NIC’s and all others are in a fail-over state (I am always in favor of defaults too). So I was thinking of reallocating the 2NICs from the iSCSI network but where this whole infrastructure relies on the iSCSI network, I opted to keep the two fail-over as an insurance policy.

Then I started to think about how ESXi does not have a service console but rather a management network. For best practices, does the management network need 2NICs like the service console? The 2NIC design was for preventing HA from executing in the event of a service console NIC failure which would cause network isolation for that particular host.

Should I combine vMotion and the old service console networks? Should I buy another 4-port NIC?

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Reply
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Depends on the level of redundancy you want. If you are not too worried about it then I would just combine them onto the same vSwitch. If you are worried about redundancy then I would split them out.

If you found this at all helpful please award points by using the correct or helpful buttons! Thanks!

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos