VMware Cloud Community
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

ESXI 6.5 Cant Enable vMotion - " The "Update VMkernel NIC"

Has anyone seen this error before ?

The "Update VMkernel NIC vmk0 on zbox-esxi02.zboxuniverse.com" operation failed for the entity with the following error message.

A specified parameter was not correct: SelectVnic.vnic.Specification.NetStackInstanceKey

I can't seem to enable vMotion on any VMkernel on my newly upgrade ESXi Server, its now running 6.5.

Thanks all!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fixed, i went into the DCUI and reset Net Settings No Luck.

The Fix was to go into the DCUI and reset the ESXI host settings, at least i didn't have to do a reinstall of ESXI, but still inconvenient and now vMotion works fine on VMK01.

Thanks

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
danielmgrinnell
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Fixed, i went into the DCUI and reset Net Settings No Luck.

The Fix was to go into the DCUI and reset the ESXI host settings, at least i didn't have to do a reinstall of ESXI, but still inconvenient and now vMotion works fine on VMK01.

Thanks

0 Kudos
jfene72
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Resetting the host settings to default, worked for me as well. I came across the same issue after playing around with host profiles and customization, after which I could not enable vMotion from the vmkernel options.

Would try to fix it differently though, if this were a production system.

2017-02-23 10_26_23-ESX6-a (16.68) - VMware Workstation 12 Player (Non-commercial use only).jpg

https://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=10069...

0 Kudos
roynaim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

I have the same issue,

I have 4 NICs in an LACP configuration, under 1 vSwitch (yes, not a dvSwitch yet),

with 2 VMkernel adapters, 1 for management (VLAN X) and one for storage (VLAN Y), each one on different IP/subnets:

pastedImage_6.png

pastedImage_2.png

On a host that I have reset the settings above, I can configure it,

On the other hosts I get the same message:

A specified parameter was not correct: SelectVnic.vnic.Specification.NetStackInstanceKey

Also when trying to do it using a host profile (ESXi, 6.5.0, 4564106),

I even created a new host profile from the server that is working,

And when checking the same server, I get these failures:

pastedImage_0.png

Seems like a bug, any plans to fix it?

Roy.

0 Kudos
roynaim
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Well,

Since I couldn't avoid using host profiles,

I have excluded the network configuration so I'm doing this part manually,

and still using host profile for the rest:

pastedImage_0.png

If VMware will ever want to take a look at the issue (I believe it is a bug) the can reach out 🙂

Roy.

0 Kudos