VMware Cloud Community
BookemDano14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXI Essentials compatible with VM Backup (Altaro)?

Any idea if VM Ware Essentials is compatible with VM Backup (Altaro)??

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

All paid-for vSphere licenses activate the API which backup tools use, just not the free vSphere Hypervisor license.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

All paid-for vSphere licenses activate the API which backup tools use, just not the free vSphere Hypervisor license.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
BookemDano14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for confirming my suspicion that they disable access to the API on the FREE version...

0 Kudos
BookemDano14
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After purchasing ESXi Essentials - do I have to REMOVE the FREE License, and then Assign the 'Essentials' License or does the Essentials License require the FREE license to run on top of?

The ALTARO backup software still thinks I'm running the FREE version, therefore it cant access the API and fails to run it backups

Thanks in advance!

-Dan

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Once you assign a new license key to an ESXi host and/or vCenter Server, the new license/edition will become active immediately.

If you already did this, and the backup software does not recognize it, see whether the backup software requires some kind of rescan/rediscover.

André

0 Kudos