VMware Cloud Community
david2009
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4.1 with VM Guest OS and multicast issue

I have a very weird issue and need help from VM gurus:

I have a Windows Media Server 2008R2 SP1 running the latest patches.  I have a PHYSICAL Windows 7 clients on the same network that I can connect and multicast to the Windows 2008R2 media server WITHOUT ANY PACKET LOSS via multicast.

I also have a Windows 7 machines VM on the same network.  I have a lot of multicast packet loss when connecting to the same windows media server 2008R2 SP1.

Then I see this:  http://blogs.vmware.com/performance/2011/08/multicast-performance-on-vsphere-50.html

it stated the followings:

In releases of vSphere prior to 5.0, the packet replication for multicast  is done using a single context.
When there is a high VM density per host, at high packet rates the  replication context may become
a bottleneck  and cause packet loss. VMware added a new feature in ESXi 5.0  to split the cost of replication
across various physical CPUs. This makes vSphere 5.0 a highly scalable and  efficient platform for multicast receivers.
This feature is called splitRxMode, and it can be enabled with a VMXNET3  virtual NIC. Fanning out processing to
multiple contexts causes a slight increase in CPU consumption and is  generally not needed for most systems.
Hence, the feature is disabled by default. VMware recommends enabling  splitRxMode in situations where
multiple VMs share a single physical NIC and receive a lot of  multicast/broadcast packets.
Issue is that I only have a single VM guest Windows7 on this ESX.  Hardware is dell 2950-III with 12GB ram and dual processors and dual-cores.  I assigned 6GB RAM and 4 processors to the Windows 7 but I still have LOT of Packet loss.
Anyone know why?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

Same thing was happening in our network which is got resolved through proper routing on our firewall & cost settinsgs .

Do tracert to findout the path data are traveling & then set cost of network.

"a journey of a thousand miles starts  with a single step."
0 Kudos