VMware Cloud Community
jesszen
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 4 U1 - NFS server does not support MOUNT version 3 over TCP

I have two ESXi servers, serverA is build 4.0.0, 171294 and serverB is build 4.0.0, 208167, and one NFS server running Ubuntu 8.04. NFS version 3 is running and TCP appears to be enabled.

I can mount NFS datastores through vCenter on serverA but I get the error when mounting from serverB. All the configuration on the ESXi server is the same (other than the build).

" Error during the configuration of the host: NFS Error: Unable to Mount filesytem: The NFS server does not support MOUNT version 3 over TCP "

Does anyone know if I can either set serverB to use UDP or if I need to do something else on the NFS server? From my research NFS v3 on Ubuntu supports TCP by default.

Thanks

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jesszen
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley Happy I was right that my NFS server was running version 3 with support for TCP. But, I had locked down the /etc/hosts.allow file and forgot to add the new ESXi server to it and restart the SSH server. As soon as I did this I was able to mount the NFS datastore on serverB.

I actually was reading about NFS authentication when I stumbled accross an article about TCP wrappers that NFS uses to read the /etc/hosts.allow and /etc/hosts.deny files.

Hope this helps someone else.

0 Kudos
codemonkie
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Jesszen,

I got hit by the same problem on my ESXi server, NAS in used is Openfiler 2.3. Applied your trick on the NAS but doesn't work.

Am I suppose to modify the hosts.allow on the ESXi or the NAS btw?

TIA

0 Kudos
AlistairS
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Hi

I had this problem with ESX4 U1 and it didn't hit me with the same iSCSI target on ESX4.

Turned out the /etc/exports file didn't have no_root_squash set on the export in question, it just had

/exportname 10.0.0.*(rw)

which I changed to

/exportname 10.0.0.*(rw,no_root_squash)

then I could add the NFS datastore on the ESX4 U1 host. So it could be U1 is a bit more stringent with checking NFS mount conditions.

HTH,

Alistair

ManuelLopez
Contributor
Contributor

i love you, this men is godddddddddddddddddddd

0 Kudos