VMware Cloud Community
HectorFliara
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 Update2 and vCenter 5.1 GA interopability

I was patching some ESXi 5.5 clusters with the Heartbleed patch. I went ahead and started rolling out ESXi 5.1U2 on some smaller clusters, and after about 3 hosts I realized my vCenter is still 5.1 GA. The VMware compatibility page seems to state it is ok, But I seem to read before that is not the proper way, vCenter has to upgrade first.

My Distributed Switch is working. High Availability seems to be configured ok for the Hosts, though of course I can not test it.

Have I screwed myself?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

don't worry, the vCenter Server version usually (see VMware Product Interoperability Matrixes for supported configurations) support all minor ESXi version.

Btw. version 5.1 was not affected (see http://kb.vmware.com/kb/2076225) by the Heartbleed issue.

André

0 Kudos
HectorFliara
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you. Why have some VMware support personal on the phone told me vCenter must be a higher version or your hosts will always disconnect.

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Maybe they were talking about major versions, where this is the case, i.e. vCenter Server 5.1 cannot manage ESXi 5.5 hosts. For minor version this isn't always required. Anyway, always make sure you take a look at the Interoperability Matrix to be on the save side.

André

0 Kudos