VMware Cloud Community
JUMBO23
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.1 and Windows XP compatability

Hello all,

I recently introduced an ESXi host into a customers environment and moved those physical servers on to it. One of these servers was a file server. I created a new VM running 2008 R2 and moved all data/file shares over to this VM.

I'm now receiving feedback from users running Windows XP that running some applications are now slower than they were before. Windows 7/8 users don't seem to be affected

I have remoted onto a Windows XP desktop and can see that it takes four minutes to copy over a 300Mb folder. On a Windows 7 desktop machine it takes 30 seconds

If I copy the same folder from the file server to the Windows XP machine it takes 30 or 40 seconds

I have restarted the file server, made sure the vmtools are running. I have updated the NIC driver on the XP machine, tried switching between 100Mb and auto detect all without success (The network is a 100Mb network)

Has anyone experienced anything similar or may have ideas where to look next? I am running the E1000 network driver on the file server

Thanks

Simon

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I would rather suspect the move to Windows Server 2008R2 to be the problem.

What was the copy speed before the move?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
JUMBO23
Contributor
Contributor

The data was moved off a physical SBS 2011 server, which effectively runs 2008 r2 and moved on to a virtual 2008 r2 machine, so I can't think that was it

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

I would say its more unlikely to be a vSphere-problem since the Windows 7 clients work fine.

It should be easy to troubleshoot and get closer to the issue with some simple experiments.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
Cyberfed27
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

This may be related to SMB2 on server 2008. You can try to disable it.

0 Kudos
jdptechnc
Expert
Expert

I think it is likely an SMB2 issue as well; the symptoms do not lie.  What else is different between the SBS system and the new VM?

I've seen things such as a minor update to A/V software cause issues when oplocks are also enabled on the file server when using SMB2.  XP clients weren't affected because SMB1 will be negotiated due to XP not supporting SMB2.

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... IT Guy since 12/2000... Virtual since 10/2006... VCAP-DCA #2222
0 Kudos
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

JUMBO23 wrote:

Has anyone experienced anything similar or may have ideas where to look next? I am running the E1000 network driver on the file server

Thanks

Simon

Why?

First best practise here would be to blow away that NIC and add a vmxnet3 NIC. I'd be interested in how that goes.

VMware in general doesn't appreciate 100Mbit networks, it's time to consider upgrading.

0 Kudos