VMware Cloud Community
JeffTJM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

ESXi 5.5 USB devices Intel Mainboard

Hi,

I have a number of servers with Intel S2600GZ mainboards all loaded with ESXi 5.5. Some servers the USB devices work OK (keyboard, mouse, usb drives etc) but others no devices are listed.

I have seen some threads that say to enable EHCI hand off but these bios's do not have that option. I have tried all sorts of BIOS settings on the servers that do no work to get the USB devices to list in ESXi but nothing works.

lsusb on one that works returns keyboard and mouse etc, the same command on the others and nothing at all is listed

These servers all have the exact same bios revision and were all installed from the same install DVD!

What can I check in ESXi on the working servers to compare with the servers that do no work?

We did not experience this issue with 5.1 only 5.5

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffTJM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have resolved this issue, for those that may have the same problems:

I had Intel VT-D directed I/O enabled in the bios, I also had the 2x USB hubs setup for PCI device pass-through. I tried to disable this in ESXi but it does not disable after its enabled. I turned off  Intel VT-D directed I/O option in the bios effectively forcing ESXi to release the devices from pass-through and USB devices are now detected correctly. lsusb now lists all devices connected to the server as it should!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ScreamingSilenc
Jump to solution

As per VMware recommendation Intel S2600GZ mainboard BIOS should be using "Intel Corp. SE5C600.86B.02.01.0002.082220131453" version firmware.

VMware Compatibility Guide: System Search

If your already using correct BIOS version then you can try below steps

To resolve this issue:

1. Run this command to stop the usbarbitrator service:

/etc/init.d/usbarbitrator stop

2. Disconnect and reconnect the USB key or disk device media. The device is automatically mounted under /vmfs/volumes/NO NAME/.
  3. After using the device, start the usbarbitrator service by running this command:

/etc/init.d/usbarbitrator start

Or You can plug USB hub OnTo the chassis USB port and connect keyboard , USB stick with ESXi onto the HUB.

Please consider marking this answer "correct" or "helpful" if you found it useful.
0 Kudos
JeffTJM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the reply,

yes that is the current bios version

BIOS ID: SE5C600.86B.02.01.0002.082220131453

There must be a setting or config file somewhere that needs to be modified, as stated it does work on some of them but not others?????

Will updating to 5.5U1 help?

0 Kudos
JeffTJM
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have resolved this issue, for those that may have the same problems:

I had Intel VT-D directed I/O enabled in the bios, I also had the 2x USB hubs setup for PCI device pass-through. I tried to disable this in ESXi but it does not disable after its enabled. I turned off  Intel VT-D directed I/O option in the bios effectively forcing ESXi to release the devices from pass-through and USB devices are now detected correctly. lsusb now lists all devices connected to the server as it should!

0 Kudos