VMware Cloud Community
rjacobson
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 5.5 - update using dell custom image failed

I installed (or attempted to install) a Dell Custom image in ZIP format from here:

VMware ESXi 5.5 Update 3 Driver Details | Dell US

Using the command:

esxcli software profile update -p Dell-ESXi-5.5U3-5230635-A09 -d /vmfs/volumes/564963e0-8ddcddbb-4175-1418772655ff/VMware-VMvisor-Installer-5.5.0.update03-5230635.x86_64-Dell_Customized-A09.zip

I didn't see any errors, and it says installed many VIBs, including e.g.

Dell_bootbank_dell-configuration-vib_5.5-3A09

VMware_bootbank_esx-base_5.5.0-3.101.5230635

However, after rebooting the host, the build esx-base and dell-configuration-vib are still the same versions as from before I did the install:

# esxcli software vib list | grep -iE "(esx-base|dell-config)"

dell-configuration-vib         5.5-3A01                               Dell    PartnerSupported  2015-11-13

esx-base                       5.5.0-3.100.4722766                    VMware  VMwareCertified   2017-01-20

I suspect I'm doing something wrong?  Please let me know if I need to provide more information.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

have you checked below article.

VMware Knowledge Base

Regards,

Randhir

0 Kudos
rjacobson
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks, but I wasn't using the ISO to perform the update.  I did not receive ANY errors -- at least, not in my SSH session.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

you can see article for the same ....

Upgrading Hosts by Using esxcli Commands

Upgrading Hosts by Using esxcli Commands

Regards,

Randhir

a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

I assume that the command returned that it finished successfully but needs a reboot (it shows this above the added/removed/skipped vibs)?

How did you do the reboot? Did you enter the reboot command on the console, right after updating (that's what should work), or did you reboot the host from the vSphere Client GUI?

André

0 Kudos
rjacobson
Contributor
Contributor

I issued the "reboot" command in the SSH session, immediately after applying the VMware patch.

Also, I have an update on this issue:  I ran the updates again, this time separately with a reboot in between each one.  i.e. I ran the "profile update" using the Dell A09 zip, then rebooted.  Then I ran the VMware patch using "vib update", then rebooted again.  Each time, I verified the build number after reboot was correct (it was).

I have successfully updated other systems by chaining the updates like I did the first time, but for some reason it didn't work on this particular host!

0 Kudos