VMware Cloud Community
joel_JXJ
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi 6.5

Hi all,

I'm very new at this virtualisation technologie. I have a Dell R720 decommisioned and I would like to use it to learn the process on installing ESXi and adding IOS over... My problem is; I think, my server can only run ESXi 6.5. Wherer can I find an ISO file and a license to learn at home on this old Dell server?

Joel

2 Replies
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

An R720 will run ESXi 8.0 no problem. Using it now on my own R720. You'll get a warning about CPU compatibility, but there's an option to continue installation and it will work just fine. I'm also using the Dell customized ISO of 8.0 that you can find here:

https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/details?downloadGroup=OEM-ESXI80-DELLEMC&productId=1345

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos
jsm79
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Forgot to add re: license. For home use, you can get a VMUG Advantage membership for $200 that will give you a license to most current VMware products for 1 year. After which, you can renew your membership for $180 to get another year, and so on.

Otherwise, you can download a trial version that will be functional for 60 days. After which, you'd need to purchase a license, or go the VMUG Advantage route.

0 Kudos