VMware Cloud Community
srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXi 8.0U2 Can't connect to vCenter Server

Hi folks:

I just upgraded a copy of ESXi 7 to ESXi 8.0U2 and after the upgrade I'm unable to connect it to vCenter Server (I have the essentials package).   At first I thought the problem may have been vCenter Server as prior to upgrading the host I upgraded vCenter Server to 8.02a, and I thought perhaps the issue was with the vCenter Server database, so I installed a brand new copy of vCenter Server 8.02a and the problem still happens.   

When I add the host to vCenter Server all goes well at first and the host for a brief moment appears in the inventory, then the host disconnects after vCenter Server puts out a task message saying "Generate a certificate signing request using the specified Distinguished Name".   That shows it completes, but immediately after that the host disconnects and won't connect again.  I have to remove the host from vCenter, stop service vpxa, and remove user vpxuser, at which point I can try again, but the same thing happens.     

The vpaxa log file shows a number of errors while this process is going on, some specifically about fields not being defined properly, and at timestamp 00:45:26.492Z there is a panic error 1089, whatever that means.   I'm attaching the log file here, if it will fit.  All these messages were from a single attempt to connect the host to vcenter server.

I've had no luck searching on this panic error, so I'm not sure what it's about.   I was also discussing this in a thread in the vcenter server section, but after the problem recurrs on a freshly installed copy of vcenter server, I'm beginning to think the problem may be in the host.   

0 Kudos
1 Reply
srwsol
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I backed out ESXi 8.0U2, regressed to 7.02, and then ESXi successfully connected to version 8.02a of vCenter Server.   Therefore either there is some incompatibility between ESXi 8.0U2 and vCenter Server 8.02a, or something went wrong with the upgrade process on ESXi.   

I'm going to stay on 7.02 on this copy of ESXi until I get some answers about what happened.   For the record I upgraded via the ISO image rather than using the offline upgrade bundle.     

0 Kudos