VMware Cloud Community
Winter_Redd
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi host hangs on reboot at loading

Hello all,

Currently working a situation where a controller on one of my servers went bad. After replacing it and enabling it I rebooted the server. The reboot starts but loops a reboot after after hanging when the "loading /  vmx.v00" comes up in the ESXi boot process.

I am getting ready to reinstall ESXi but would like to avoid it if possible as the server in question hosts a domain controller instance.

Can  anyone tell me if the "hang-loop-reboot" is a hard stop and if I will need to reload ESXi?

Thanks in advance.  

0 Kudos
2 Replies
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
You could try to install VMware vSphere with the same version you had on a USB key.

You would install a 4GB or 8GB USB key on the server and install the VMware vSphere. You should be able to boot from the USB key and see the other storage connected to the server, if you have no problems they should be recognized and mounted automatically

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos
swaheed1239
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You can try to do a power-cycle of the esxi host. Power off the host using the physical power button, remove the power cables and all other cables from the host and leave it for couple minutes, connect back all the cables with power cables being the last in the sequence. Try to power on the Esxi host after performing these steps. If this issue happens again, I believe it is related to the drivers compatibility. If you manage to power on your esxi host, make sure you are on the latest patch to avoid any compatibility issues.

0 Kudos