VMware Cloud Community
gfreidline
Contributor
Contributor

ESXi restart managment services appears hung up

One of our ESXi 5 cluster members become non-responsive to vCenter.  The client is unable to log onto the host directly.  The host is however pingable from the vCenter server.  The host has been like this for a couple of hours now and I am concerned that it is hung up.  I have inserted a screen shot of the console below.  I was following KB 1003409.

Capture_Hung_esxi.PNG

The virtual machines on this host are still accessible and working properly. There are a couple production services still running on the host so if possible I would like to not have to perform a cold reboot.

I would apprecaite any ideas or help on how to get the host communicating again.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
gfreidline
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for passing on the KB, however I don't know that I will be able to do this.  The console it self is what is locked up with the services restart screen.  I'm open to ways around this, I'm just not sure what it would be.

0 Kudos
sivaksk147
Contributor
Contributor

Hi buddy

R u able to Connect your ESXi server using putty ? if not Use Powercli to enable TSM-SSH service using below command

1. connect vmhost "connect-viserver -server 192.168.1.10 -user root -password password"    remove quations

2.enable TSM-SSH "get-vmhostservice -vmhost 192.168.1.10 | where-object {$_.key -eq "TSM-SSH"} start-vmhostservice"    remove quations

3.Now you can able to connect your ESXi server using putty.(i think you might be knowing how to connect)

4.run this command " /sbin/services.sh restart"        (use this command for restart all ESXi services)

5. run this command "/etc/init.d/hostd restart "         (use this command to restart only hostd service which your looking for)

Reply to this if you need more info.............................

Thanks&regards

Mr.k

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
aravinds3107
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

If you are able to access the host using Putty, run /sbin/services.sh restart

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful |Blog: http://aravindsivaraman.com/ | Twitter : ss_aravind
0 Kudos
sparrowangelste
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

if he doesnt already have ssh on, then he will not be able to connect via powercli or putty.

Sometimes when ssh is on, I've noticed you still cant ssh in when it's in this state while restarting.

It should be hainging on the usbarbitrator or iscsi rescan, so give it a few hours, but you already did.

I think at this point you will need some hard booting...

--------------------- Sparrowangelstechnology : Vmware lover http://sparrowangelstechnology.blogspot.com
0 Kudos
sa2057
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Sorry and yes, it requires a hard reboot. if you are unable to connect via Putty.

Migrate all the VM's to a different host and try to reboot.

Good luck

Thanks

SA

0 Kudos
gfreidline
Contributor
Contributor

Well I have tried connecting with powerCLI but it just won't reach the host.  I leave ssh off (thinking it was a generally good idea from a security standpoint) so putty is not an option since I can't get command line or client access into the ESXi host to turn it on.  I'm fairly sure that its an issue with caused by changes made to iSCSI, which is fine I just wish that it would have errored out rather then hang up.

At any rate, thank you all for the sugjestions and help at this point I'm going to reboot the host.

0 Kudos