VMware Cloud Community
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

ESXi v4.1 -- AD Integration -- Permissions Being Lost

I'm having an awful time trying to keep permissions between reboots on our ESXi 4.1 box, we have a group in domain\vmwareAdmins that we give administrator access to, on reboot it loses these permissions set.

The permissions are set on the hypervisor, under hypervisor > Permissions by right clicking and saying "add permission" we add the group from the domain.

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or did I stumble across a bug?

Exact Version is VMWare ESXi 4.1.0, 260247, if there is an update, how would I run it? vSphere used to have some kind of upgrade utility, but that is only for 4.0 as far as I know....

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

I can't tell you much about the permissions because I don't use AD integration. However ESXi 4.1 Update 1 was released a couple of days ago and fixes a lot of issues. The offical way to update - using either vihostupdate or the Update Manager - is documented in the Upgrade Guide, however I'd suggest you also take a look at http://paulgrevink.wordpress.com/2011/02/13/installing-esxi-4-1-update-1-with-the-vihostupdate-utili... and http://www.vm-help.com/esx41/Patching_4.1_with_the_host_update_utility.php

André 

0 Kudos
wdroush1
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

We have a streamlined OEM file that offers support for the 3ware 95xx cards, do we need to do anything special about this for the update?

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

The only one who can answer this question is the one who created the OEM file! However, since the 3ware 9xxx drivers are included in Update 1, I think there should not be any issues, if adding the drivers was the only modification.

André

0 Kudos
Dave_Mishchenko
Immortal
Immortal

Once a driver makes it into the main install you'll want to remove it from oem.tgz.  Otherwise it will continue to overwrite the version that comes with ESXi which will potentially be newer than the copy in your oem.tgz file.

0 Kudos