VMware Cloud Community
TSPFed
Contributor
Contributor

ESxi 5.5 common image

Hello,

We have ESXi 5.5 standard with vCenter. We have about 50 hosts and I want to build a common ESXi image with security hardening done. This image will be used to install ESXi on all other 49 hosts. How could I accomplish this?

Thanks

8 Replies
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

I would suggest to follow the below steps:

1. Install the host with the ESXi image .

2. Do the security hardening on the host.

3.  Take the host profile out of this host.

4. Install all host and apply this host profile on all host.

and If you have any plan to Customize the ESXi image in terms of vib then do that by PowerCLI.

If you find any answer useful. please mark the answer as correct or helpful.
TSPFed
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks..

Can you explain or point to a relevant KB that explains how to do these steps except step 1? I guess security hardening will be a manual task on the first host. Could you explain how to perform steps 3 and 4?

Thanks again

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

Once you done with the security/Hardening the host

1. Right Click on the Host -> Host profile-> create host profile.

2. Now through VC -> Host Profile -> Created Host poofile Attached to all host and scan for the "Compliance" ->

Now look for all the info is listed which you want to apply to all host . If correct you can apply the profile and reboot the host.

before that i would suggest you to read little about host profile . That will help you to understand what setting you can change through the host profile

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/techpaper/VMW-Host-Profiles-Tech-Overview.pdf

TSPFed
Contributor
Contributor

I don't think this option is available with the standard version of ESXi. How can we do this with standard version of ESXi?

Thanks

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

It is used for booting the ESXi Server . The license in ESXi you need to apply after this.

0 Kudos
TSPFed
Contributor
Contributor

For me to get the host profile option, I need to have enterprise edition right...

I didn't follow your reply....

0 Kudos
CoolRam
Expert
Expert

yes.. Host Profile is the part of Enterprise edition.

0 Kudos
TSPFed
Contributor
Contributor

Is there an alternate way or ways for folks who don't have Enterprise editon to capture a canned ESXi image from a host and use it across the enterprise for deployment consistency?

0 Kudos