VMware Cloud Community
ccie4481
Contributor
Contributor

Easiest way to fresh install and keep VMFS

Whats the easiest way to do a fresh install of ESXI4 and not lose my VMFS/VMs. I know i could transfer all the files off but that will take forever. Is there an easier way. I dont want to upgrade i would like to fresh install

Thanks

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You can install direct to USB. It is an install option. It will detect the existing datastore. If you backup the configuration and restore to the new install you should be ready to go.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
ccie4481
Contributor
Contributor

DSTAVERT,

How big of a USB drive do i need to have? How will the fresh install know to trash the old install thats on the HD disk?

I have two drives in my esx box...could i move all my vms to say disk2 and then fresh install to disk1 and add the second disk???

Thanks

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

ESXi can be installed onto a 1GB or greater device.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

The ESXi partition on the disk is quite small and will be ignored. Installing to USB would be predicated on your server being able to boot from USB. ESXi was designed to install to USB/Flash. There is very little writing to the flash disk.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You mentioned two disks and upgrade. The first thing to do is make sure your hardware is on the Hardware Compatibility List .

0 Kudos
ccie4481
Contributor
Contributor

I have confirmed ESXi4 works on my hardware...i was wondering if i could move all my vms to the datastore on the secondary disk....and do a fresh install on the primary disk?

0 Kudos
mcowger
Immortal
Immortal

That would work too.

--Matt

VCP, vExpert, Unix Geek

--Matt VCDX #52 blog.cowger.us
0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Yes install to disk works. Install to USB takes 15 minutes. Most server manufacturers, HP, Dell, IBM, Fujitsu, etc offer ESXi preinstalled on USB or SD cards when you order a new server. This is a fully supported VMware install method.

0 Kudos