VMware Cloud Community
timjwatts
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

EqualLogic MPIO and path redundancy

Hi,

I'm not sure how this works..

Host has 4 iSCSI links, split 2+2 via two stacked Dell PowerConnect 6224 switches to 4 gig links to EQL PS6500E storage porcessor. I've installed the EqualLogic MPIO drivers for ESX and ran their multipathing vSwitch/storage adaptor setup script (SW iSCSI initiator).

VMWare and Dell PC 6224 have CDP enabled for listen + advertise.

I noticed, when adding storage that EsX will only allocate 2 paths for each storage unit - but it *seemed* to pick paths via different switches. Either this was pot luck or it was noticing the CDP information.

I have it boxed up and am about to transport to the datacenter and install it properly.

If I switch the uplinks around (but only using those configured for iSCSI) will it mess things up - or does the system dynamically adapt?

eg I use vmnic0-3 for iscsi and these plug into switchports configured for VLAN 3010 (my iSCSI VLAN).

If I plug vmnics0-3 into the switch stack in a different order (ie change witch switch member a particular link goes into) will ESX complain?

This is just one of those little things I'm curious about... And also because I noticed on stripdown of the test rig, that my vmnic->switch ports where not consistent across hosts, so I'd like to make them the same...

Cheers

Tim

0 Kudos
0 Replies