VMware Cloud Community
pl5
Contributor
Contributor

Error after upgrading from ESXi 7.0.3 to 8.0.2

Just upgraded a ESXi host from 7.0.3 to 8.0.2 and upon restart, I noticed on the console screen during the final stage of ESXi loading, there was a red error message on the console screen that read "2024-001-29t14:43:17 cpu3:2097403)Jumpstart plugin restore-security-policies activation failed.

What can be done to resolve this issue?  This is the first ESXi host I've upgraded from 7 to 8 and would like to hold off upgrading other ESXi hosts until I address this startup issue.  Thanks in advance.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
ssalmanhafiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@pl5 Do you know what that Jumpstart Plugin is?

If the Jumpstart plugin is provided by a specific vendor or platform, consider reaching out to their support team.

But just in case that plugin is not needed in your installation, you can try skipping it by adding "jumpstart.disable=restore-security-policies" in the boot options (SHIFT+O on boot).

0 Kudos
pl5
Contributor
Contributor

ssalmanhafiz,

Error is for plugin "restore-networking activation".

I do have a case opened with HPE (for VMWare support) on this but all the HPE engineer wants to do is tell me to ignore the error and close the case.  For some reason, the HPE engineer thinks all jumpstart errors can be ignored.

0 Kudos
ssalmanhafiz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

@pl5 I have checked this and it looks like there is currently no workaround or resolution. This issue can be ignored because there is no functionality loss. 

The message may be non-fatal, but if you're stuck on that message, it may mean you are on the console(F11), whereas the installer is displayed on F2, try Ctrl-Alt-F2 to go to the installer session.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (i.e. not in any official capacity)

Please mark my comment as a Correct Answer or consider giving Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.

pl5
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the information.  The error is non fatal.  The error message just flashes for maybe just a second than the ESXi boot is complete.

I assume I could add to the boot options to disable it.

Any chance do you know if this issue will be addressed in a future release of ESXi?

0 Kudos
degvm
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Is there a solution installed, which might not be able to run with version8. Have you installed vibs that did not belong to vmware? Are you using the TPM?

0 Kudos