VMware Cloud Community
Elgreco
Contributor
Contributor

Esx4 got disconnected unable to relocate the guest

i have 4 BL460 blade servers connected to EVA4000 storage

the blades are running esx,4.0.0, 175625, they are connected to a Cluster (not configured for HA or DRS) on Vcenter 4.0.0 who is running as a guest on one ESX4 host.

yesterday i experienced a major downtime, because one ESX4 server went disconected from the vsphere and all the host stoped working.

i could see in the vCenter the host as disconnected and on the guest were greyed out witg the green play button. i couldnt open even the host itself by vsphere client console.

i was unable to relocate the guests to another host using vCenter (i guess because my ad and dns servers closed) and i had to manualy attach the guests to another host using vsphere client console on a host and browse the datastore.

for a note i will say that i could ping the disconnected host, i even could see the console, log in and browse the filesystem.

When i tryed to manualy start a guest using vmware-cmd the machine didnt start and i got a error message

did someone experienced the same? (the logs on the vcenter and esx host dont show any error)

0 Kudos
2 Replies
iamsiju
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi,

After the ESX got restarted , did u see all datastores visible from VI client (Host->Configuration->storage) ? atleast the datastore which your VM resides ? Please rescan your storage and try to get the datastores online.

*if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers*

**if you found this or any other answer useful, please consider allocating points for helpful or correct answers**
0 Kudos
jmaehr
Contributor
Contributor

I think its not a good idea to install the vCenter on one of your ESX. If this ESX get an abend you are without control.

JM

0 Kudos