VMware Cloud Community
denebx3
Contributor
Contributor

Esxi 5.1, Observed IP ranges = none

Hello Guys,

I have an HP ML110 G7 running Esxi 5.1 (Customize VMware ESXi Image for HP ProLiant Servers) and i have installed another one ethernet adapter (TP-LINK TG-3468). However, the tp-link nic cannot take any ip from the DHCP router and in the Observed IP ranges has "none". Is it possible to assign a static ip address to the nic, even from the command line? Please note that the server has two built-in nics connected on the same network and have IP ranges.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JCMorrissey
Expert
Expert

Hi,

As such if there is no activity yet on the NIC's the observed range will show up as none

take a look at the steps outlined in http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100674...

and see if you start seeing a subnet returned in the space

Please consider marking as "helpful", if you find this post useful. Thanks!... http://johncmorrissey.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
denebx3
Contributor
Contributor

I have seen before this vmware article. It's very weird . all the nics are connected on the same switch/nework and under the same DHCP modem/router... Why tp-link nic cannot take an ip address?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

What do you mean with "take" and IP-Adress?

How have you configured the pNIC? Could you post a screenshot of the vSwitch settings?

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
denebx3
Contributor
Contributor

I have just installed the nic and add it to a vswitch... do i have to do anything else in order to observe the specific DHCP ip network?

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

A pNIC does not need a ip-adress.

You are probably not seeing and "Observed IP Ranges" since no traffic have passed through that interface yet.

// Linjo

Best regards, Linjo Please follow me on twitter: @viewgeek If you find this information useful, please award points for "correct" or "helpful".
0 Kudos
denebx3
Contributor
Contributor

so what can i do? is it possible to assign the ip network manually to that nic?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Linjo
Leadership
Leadership

It all depends what you want to do with the NIC...

What was the purpouse for adding it in the first place?

// Linjo

0 Kudos
denebx3
Contributor
Contributor

basically for load balancing.First i added it to vSwitch0 and configure nic teaming for load balancing. After, i noticed that there is nothing to "observed ip ranges" i tried to add it to a new vSwitch...

0 Kudos