VMware Cloud Community
TheBigJS
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Esxi performance

Right, I sys admin a small to med size company.

We have multiple sites but a mission critical app that requires LAN access (SQL), so for years we've run MS hyper-v RDPs as well as running the (Windoze) domain on hyper-v.

But a recent change and appalling performance saw some testing reveal actual hardware desktops (via RDP) offer considerably better performance, even with comparable spec VMs (in hyper-v).

Then a (possible oversight on my part) saw the SQL (express...sorry) server moved from an old 3.6ghz 4 core host to a new 2.4 80 core host saw further performance drops, no doubt the SQL express limitations being the factor here.

So, as I have previous ESX experience (this is me ) I chucked firstly an rdp client "desktop" on esx (solved the first performance issue totally) then the sql server on it too which solved everything.

Now I'm caught between a rock and a hard place, we're running production apps on esxi "free", SQL on an old server and things have never run better.

Advice is welcome! Do I beg my director for some licence money and do it properly?

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Mission critical implies you need high availability and backups, so my answer would be “yes”.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog

View solution in original post

Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello,

I agree, I would do something even if this obviously implies a certain financial commitment, the what and how however IMHO it depends a lot on the context and may not be a "trivial question", otherwise things would have been implemented differently from the beginning, so in general terms I would also say "yes".

Regards,
Ferdinando

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello,

Sorry, but I didn't fully understand what the terms of your question are, I mean you should try to describe a little more specifically what your overall context is. Things can be done in many different ways because everyone has their own "particular way of conceiving and doing IT" and it is not at all certain that what for some is "done well" is "done badly" for others.

Regards,
Ferdinando

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee
Jump to solution

Mission critical implies you need high availability and backups, so my answer would be “yes”.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Kinnison
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hello,

I agree, I would do something even if this obviously implies a certain financial commitment, the what and how however IMHO it depends a lot on the context and may not be a "trivial question", otherwise things would have been implemented differently from the beginning, so in general terms I would also say "yes".

Regards,
Ferdinando