VMware Cloud Community
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Expanding VMware Environment

I am expanding our vmware enviroment. I currently have HA\DRS clusters consisting of DL360\380 G5 servers. I have purchased three DL380 G6 servers. I am thing about creating another cluster for the G6 servers vs using VMware EVC. Has anyone mixed G5 and G6 servers on the same cluster? Or is it better to just keep them seperate?

Thanks

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Has anyone mixed G5 and G6 servers on the same cluster? Or is it better to just keep them seperate?

EVC depends on the Processor not the hardware, if the processors are a match, it should be fine... We mixed some, it's only a problem if your servers are different configuration, so G5 is 64GB and G6 is 96GB RAM for instance, then you could end up with an unbalanced cluster.

IMHO if the machines are the same (other than newer architecture) I would put them in the same cluster... You can always build the new cluster as planned, disconnect, then remove the G5 host from the old cluster and ADD it the new G6 cluster (after you turn on EVC). If it doesn't complain, it should be fine Smiley Happy

BTW, removing hosts will NOT affect running VM's (provided you don't reboot / power off the hosts).

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RParker
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

> Has anyone mixed G5 and G6 servers on the same cluster? Or is it better to just keep them seperate?

EVC depends on the Processor not the hardware, if the processors are a match, it should be fine... We mixed some, it's only a problem if your servers are different configuration, so G5 is 64GB and G6 is 96GB RAM for instance, then you could end up with an unbalanced cluster.

IMHO if the machines are the same (other than newer architecture) I would put them in the same cluster... You can always build the new cluster as planned, disconnect, then remove the G5 host from the old cluster and ADD it the new G6 cluster (after you turn on EVC). If it doesn't complain, it should be fine Smiley Happy

BTW, removing hosts will NOT affect running VM's (provided you don't reboot / power off the hosts).

0 Kudos
dap
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the info...My main concern is around the processor. All of the G5 servers have 5400 CPU. I have read that 5500 processors deliver a huge performance boost over existing Xeon 5400 CPU. I am not sure I want to use EVC and dumb down the 5500 processor.

0 Kudos
dcoz
Hot Shot
Hot Shot
Jump to solution

dap,

scott Lowe wrote a good article about EVC and the kind of thing you are concerened about.

http://blog.scottlowe.org/2009/06/10/xeon-5500-cpus-and-evc-in-vsphere

Hope this helps

DC