VMware Cloud Community
QMAZE
Contributor
Contributor

Failover Question

Good afternoon,

I am looking for the best way to add redundancy to our network in regards to a fail-over system. So currently we have one physical server that hosts EXSi with 3 VMs. If that server were to fail I would have zero redundancy, what kind of hardware would be required to have another piece of hardware take over should this scenario play out? Would I need 3 physical servers, one to run vCenter that in turn has 2 other physical hardware running as HA's or would I only need to invest another hardware server that each has vCenter, really green when it comes to that type of environment requirements. Hope I have made sense, appreciate any guidance or recommendations.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
If you require HA (high availability), you need vcenter server (this product requires own license) and at least one other ESXi host.

If your ESXi host uses a Free license you will need to purchase a paid license.

As you only have 3 VMs on your single ESXi host, I understand that your environment is small, your alternatives would be to purchase VMware vSphere kits:

If you only grow to a maximum of 3 ESXi hosts.
vmware vsphere essentials plus Kit (includes licenses for one vcenter server essentials and 3 ESXi hosts essentials (2 CPUs each)).

If you plan to start with 2 or 3 hosts and then keep on growing
vmware vsphere standard acceleration Kit (includes licenses for one vcenter server standard and 3 ESXi hosts standard (2 CPU each))

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
0 Kudos