VMware Cloud Community
philled99
Contributor
Contributor

File is larger than the maximum size supported by datastore

I'm getting this error when trying to convert a physical linux server to a virtual machine. I looked into the cause and I've learned that I have a maximum file size of 256GB on my datastore because it's formatted with a 1MB block size. So I changed the way the file systems are being mapped from physical to virtual disks which should have fixe dthe problem, but I'm still getting the same error. Here's a screenshot of how I'velaid out the target:

pastedImage_5.png

VirtualDisk1 has 9.22GB + 64MB + 512MB.

VirtualDisk2 has 256GB.

So that should be OK, shouldn't it? How come I'm getting the max file size error?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

To have a VMDK size of 256GB you are going to have to create a new VMFS datastore with a block size of 2MB or larger. Once you have a datastore with a 2MB or larger block size then you can P2V your server (containing your 256GB disk).

Although you have chosen to thin provision your disks - these disks can grow to 256GB (which exceeds the 1MB block size limitation).

Message was edited by: java_cat33 - Added comment about thin provisioning

philled99
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks java_cat33. i read that a 1M block size allows a max file size of 256GB so shouldn't I be able to create a 256GB virtual disk I retried it with 255GB and that was allowed, but I don't understand why 256GB isn't.

0 Kudos
java_cat33
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

No worries. If you look at the latest vSphere Config Max Guide on page 3 it specifies that the max size vmdk for a 1MB block size is 256GB - 512bytes.

This restriction was not present in ESX 3.x (the restriction was 256GB for a 1MB block size). This is a new restriction in vSphere (but for valid reasons).

0 Kudos
schepp
Leadership
Leadership

If you wan't to make snapshots of your disk later you should calculate a 2GB overhead and choose a maximum of 254GB for your disk with 1MB blocksize. A 255GB disk won't be able to snapshot.

See http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=101238...

0 Kudos