VMware Cloud Community
febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Has any body used SIMATIC (Siemens) in one VM?

Hello all,

I want to virtualize one server which control an assembly line. This server use SIMATIC to comunicate with the automata. The communications runs over ethernet IPv4 (profibus protocol encapsulated over ethernet).

I would like to virtualize this server adding it to my ESXi 4.1 infrastructure.

From Siemens told me that SIMATIC should works in my VM but their product it isn't tested over vmware ESXi solution. In this case, if SIMATIC fails, i won't have support of Siemens. With this information i think that my VM isn't a production solution but if it works i can use it like backup of my physical server.

Has any body used SIMATIC over a VM? I would like to know your experiences.

Regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
idle-jam
Immortal
Immortal

I have not used SIMATIC before but i have proposed and implement many very rare products on virtual environment. As long as they do not required special serial/parallel/usb dongle to work., it will just work fine. afterall vSphere 4 does not modify any of the operating system.

0 Kudos
febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi, i think the same but if any one can share his experience for me would be perfect.

Thanks for your reply

0 Kudos
febsa
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hello all,

This week we've migrated to vSphere 4.1 my production OPC Server. The installation has been standar and just now it's working very fine.

Regards

0 Kudos