VMware Cloud Community
KaraboT
Contributor
Contributor

Help

Gooday

I AM CURRENTLY A SW/APP CLOUD TEAM SUPPORT TECHNICIAN. The host was complaining about the space; see the screenshot; then I accidentally deleted the datastore from storage browser datastore deleted the root structure and deleted those dictorities before doing this I powered off the vms then when I Power on it shows that "NO Configuration file found", then I tired to recycle bin the deleted but I couldnt recycle them because they showed unexpected error, so is there any way of retrieving all the deleted files vmx,vdmx, vmdk, Vmware.logs and etc. I did this from the KB Provided on the Vmware

1. Clear unwanted data like old log bundles, ISO images, etc., and free space on the datastore.
  2. Do consider increasing the space of the actual lun.
  3. Restarting any of the ESXi services or rebooting the ESXi server will not help to free up space.

But I tried to fix it using the client, e.g., PUtty, but it was an unactive fatal error. connection time out

And also rescan the storage data, but no results. Please help

Kind regards,

Server

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I'm afraid that no one here in the user communities can help with recovering data, and your options are limited to e.g.:

• restore from a storage snapshot (in case of shared storage, where the storage system offers such a feature)
  • restore from backup
  • engage a data recovery company

Regarding the issue itself: From the screenshot, it looks like the datastore ran out of disk space due to active snapshots. Please note that each single snapshot can grow up to the provisioned size of its base virtual disk.

André

0 Kudos
NateNateNAte
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I think the other answer is spot-on, unfortunately. Unless you had an active data recovery solution in the deployment, that data is almost as good as gone.

Also correct on snapshots, typically it is a policy that you want to/have to set up to manage and prune snapshots from overtaking your available storage space.  

A data recovery service might be able to recover the data store and you'd need to add it to the ESXi cluster once done...but that may still rely on having a back-up/recovery log file to chase that data down.  

It's an unfortunately expensive lesson to learn (whether the data gets recovered or not). So sorry.

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I agree with them. Our datastore dropped the connection after losing a drive and going into degraded status. Replaced the drive and it's been in repair mode for over a week now with no way to access the data on it. Had to create a new VM and am currently restoring from a backup. Still have to reinstall all of the programs needed. Big headache!

Good luck!

Jessica

0 Kudos
KaraboT
Contributor
Contributor

I tried putty but still did not win; I should double-check my lincesing. Third-party software and "Vshepere data recovery" were used, but they had to be purchased.

Could you please help?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
KaraboT
Contributor
Contributor

I have used third party but they require to be phurchased

0 Kudos
KaraboT
Contributor
Contributor

Found them using third party

0 Kudos
Jessicasdd
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm curious to know how they were found? Were you able to reattach the datastore? My issue is just that I have no access to the datastore. I would have loved to have been able to just copy the files out but I still can't get to it.

Thanks,

Jessica

0 Kudos
KaraboT
Contributor
Contributor

I used "https://www.diskinternals.com/vmfs-recovery/recover-deleted-vmfs-datastore-vmware-esxi/" but you have to purchase it. Unfortunately, the datastores were not restored. This happened when I used to rescan the storage but no datastore was present in the GUI .

Headache

0 Kudos