VMware Cloud Community
SATHISHVIJAY
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How many vSphere processor licenses will be needed

Your boss wants you to install vSphere 4 server on two HP C-class Blades. Each blade
has two dual core CPU’s. How many vSphere processor licenses will be needed for this
setup?  PLEASE EXPLAIN

A.4

B.12

C.2

D.8

0 Kudos
4 Replies
virtualdive
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

The answer is 4. This is because each Blade has 2 Dual Core CPU. Upto 6 Cores you don't need to worry, in this case only dual core. If it goes beyond 6 cores, then licensing will change.

2 x 2 = 4

Thanks,

Regards,

'V'
thevshish.blogspot.in
vExpert-2014-2021
0 Kudos
prateekpatalVCP
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hello Sir

i am bit confuse i red somewhere that vmware provide licenses on per physical core basis.And in above scenario, i would say 2  because server has dual core and it might has one physical cpu.

Please clear my doubt...

Prateek
0 Kudos
suj27
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

It depends on the processors, the blades can have 1 or 2 processors. Assume there is only one processor on a blade then YES you will need 2 licenses. If the cores were to increase more than 6 then you will need the Advanced and Ent Plus license. The Gen8 with latest Xeon processor can have upto 12 cores per processor.

Sujeev Kumar
0 Kudos
King_Robert
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

you need only 4 licenses as you have 4 HP C- Class Blade server with Dual Core processor.

if each Blade is with two processor and six core then only a single license will be required to each server.

if the processor count and Cores count will increase then you need more licenses.

0 Kudos