VMware Cloud Community
RaphaelMaria
Contributor
Contributor

How to Install Nvidia vGPU Driver on VMware ESXi 6.7

Hello everyone

After many years I am going back to testing VMware for a specific environment, and due to this absence, I am having some problems that I am missing in how to solve.

How is my scenario:

1 server with:

RTX 8000

128 GB of memory

88 Processor Colors.

2 SSDs (1 for system and one for storage of VMs and ISOs)

I installed the VMWare ESXi version 6.7.

Screenshot at Oct 30 09-48-21.png

What I need to do:

Install a Windows 10 VM and bundle via PCI-passthrough this RTX 8000 for installation and licensing.

After that install a VM with another Windows 10 and link this RTX 8000 to test work via vGPU with video editing programs.

But I'm having trouble installing driver, both the process recommended by Nvidia in their forum, don't work and some commands give synthesis error which I am not used to solving at the moment so I'm trying to learn again.

Screenshot at Oct 29 17-54-16.png

Can anyone give me some tips or study link, I would be very grateful if they are a link to who successfully installed.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
RaphaelMaria
Contributor
Contributor

Above Some Logs

0 Kudos
RaphaelMaria
Contributor
Contributor

I identified one error in module loading for Nvidia

Command

[root@vmsrv01:~] cat /var/log/vmkernel.log | grep module

Return

2019-10-29T21:12:53.675Z cpu16:2100650)ALERT: NVIDIA: module load failed during VIB install/upgrade.

0 Kudos
NathanosBlightc
Commander
Commander

Hi RaphaelMaria

Did you try esxcli software vib ... after putting the host in maintenance mode or not? I have exact your issue with ESXi 6.7 and NVIDIA Tesla M60 VGA on my server

running the nvidia-smi said "it couldn't communicate ..." as you mentioned. Even I tested it with older version of ESXi (6.0 & 6.5) and still got same error.

I think it's related to the wrong driver usage (VIB file) or subscription of your device on nvidia.com, Do you have access to the nvidia account that is used for your device registration?

Please mark my comment as the Correct Answer if this solution resolved your problem
0 Kudos