VMware Cloud Community
VmCernUser
Contributor
Contributor

How to configure Bridged Network?

Hi,

In am trying to setup number of test VM's on ESX server with their own IP addresses.

In our organization, one have to register a virtual mac address in the central database and then the VM upon boot gets the IP address via DHCP. This configuration have worked for Virtual Box and Xen in our settings since they use bridged networking.

I am trying to replicate the same with ESXi but my VM's don't get network connectivity. I configure them with a unique MAC address and the host name (registered for that particular virtual MAC) but no luck!

Any ideas how could this work? My eventual aim is to setup View Manager and deploy this VM as a remote desktop for testing. That's why I am thinking it would be needed to have an independent IP address, if there is another way around that then also please let me know.

Thanks,

Omer

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

You connect to the ESX server via the vCenter Client, create a virtual switch and assign at least one physical NIC to it.

When you create the virtual guest, choose the virtual switch you created for the virtual NIC of the guest.

Each guest will have its own individual MAC address. The MAC address can be seen and/or changed in the vCenter client under the guest hardware options (virtual NIC).

That's it.

Read:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsp40u1_e/server_config/c_networking_concepts_overview.html

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsp40u1_e/server_config/c_networking2.html

Added link regarding MAC address changes:

http://pubs.vmware.com/vsp40u1_e/server_config/c_mac_address_changes.html

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

Added a link by AWo

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
VmCernUser
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I already have virtual switch created and mapped to the the physical card. On this switch, there is also a VM Management network created by the ESXi installation.

My VM is part of that virtual switch, but it can't get independent IP address.

Any more ideas?

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Is the MAC address registered to get a DHCP address (what seems to be needed in your case)?

Post screenshots of the vSwitch configuration from the vCenter client, please.

Can the guest communicate (ping its own IP or the one from the console) if you give it a static free IP address temporarily?

BTW, install the VMWare Tools inside the guest. Highly recommended.....

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

Edited by AWo

0 Kudos
VmCernUser
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

Yes, the MAC address is registered to receive the IP address automatically via DHCP.

Here is the screen shot of vswitch0 in my configuration.

Thanks

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Check if the physical NIC (vmnic0) is set as "enabled/active" for the virtual machine portgroup and not only for the VMKernel.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

0 Kudos
VmCernUser
Contributor
Contributor

How to check this Andre?

By looking at the VM Portgroup, I can see vswitch0 as active.

BTW, what is the promiscuous mode for the port group?

Cheers,

Omer

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Promiscious mode is a mode a network can be switched to. In this mode it accepts every packet it can see. That is needed for packet sniffers and analyzing tools. Otherwise the tool would only see packets which are intended for the particular host.

But when the host is attached to a switch it doesn't see all packets because the switch only shows the packets addressed to that host on its port.

On a vSwitch or its port group you can enable the promiscious mode so that all packect received by the physical NIC are shown to all ports of that portgroup, even if the destination host of that packet is not connected to that port group.

How to check:

Go to the host configuration > Network > Select your vSwitch > Properties > Select the port group and look at the right side, scroll down. There you can see the active, stand-by and not-used adapters.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

0 Kudos
VmCernUser
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for explanations Andre Smiley Happy))

I checked the vnic0 adapter for vswitch0, it's enabled and active.

But no independent networking so far for my VM :((

Cheers

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

What about VLAN's? Do you use them? If so, add the VLAN number to the portgroup.

I would go and try if communication works at all (at least "some" communication works as the VMkernel is accessible). Give the guest a static IP and try to ping another host. If that works, check your DHCP stuff (correct MAC address, etc.).

If you can use a sniffer on the DHCP host (ethereal, ethdump for Linux, Network Monitor for Windows) check if DHCP requests arrive from the guest at the DHCP host.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net

0 Kudos
VmCernUser
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I try the VLAN and static IP attempt, and will update on the thread.

0 Kudos
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

9114_9114.gif

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

Author @ vmwire.net