VMware Cloud Community
vmwarefan82
Contributor
Contributor

How to extend diskspace or add diskspace in ubuntu guest OS

Hi

I have Guest OS Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid which has 20 GB of hardisk which is running on Esxi.I want to extend it to 20 GB more.I always use Vmware convertor to extend the hardisk space for Windows.It works perfectly.But i cant able to extend the diskspace for ubuntu.

Can anybody help me in how can i extend or add a new disk(i can easily add the new hardisk from Vsphere client) but it wont be mounted automatically .

Thanks for the help in addvance.

Regards,

Raj

0 Kudos
4 Replies
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Communities - You should be able to power down the VM and then resize the current virtual disk which will provide additional space on the disk to resize partitions or create new ones - you do this by editing the settings of the virtual machine 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
vmwarefan82
Contributor
Contributor

hi Weinstein,

Thanks for your reply.I tried it earlier ,you can increase the disk space by power down the  VM but once you power it back.You cant see that the newly added disk space . Means i have 20GB hardisk...Increased as you informed but after switching on the VM it will still show 20 GB only.Actually for Windows you have vmware tool where you can clone and increase the disk space but for ubuntu there is no option.

Is there any options to do it ?

Raj

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

That is correct -if you use the df -h command you should see that you will have 20 GB of unpartitioned space and then you will have to use a command like gparted to increase the size of the partition or add a new partition - 

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
vmwarefan82
Contributor
Contributor

Hi weinstein,

Thanks very much for the hint.It just worked perfectly.

Regards,

Raj

0 Kudos