VMware Cloud Community
grob115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How to install guest VM's OS remotely

I'm going to be getting a new dedicated server to be hosted in a dataserver. Just wondering what is the proper methodology to install a guest VM's OS if I'm not going to use a virtual appliance. For example, I want to use CentOS 5.5 64 bit but haven't found any in the appliance market place. In this case, unless the VM's virtual BIOS and NIC card supports PXE install (ie boot via the NIC card), how do we normally install the guest OS without having to have the hosting company sending someone to pop a CD into the CD drive? I guess the other alternative is to ask them to create a VM with the OS installed and I make a clone image of it for use in the future?<!Session data>

0 Kudos
11 Replies
AWo
Immortal
Immortal

Connect to the ESXi server with the vCenter client. Via this GUI you can manage teh ESXi server and install guests.

AWo

VCP 3 & 4

\[:o]===\[o:]

=Would you like to have this posting as a ringtone on your cell phone?=

=Send "Posting" to 911 for only $999999,99!=

vExpert 2009/10/11 [:o]===[o:] [: ]o=o[ :] = Save forests! rent firewood! =
0 Kudos
grob115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

How when the server is located at another continent? What's the recommended practice? Use a PXE boot to install the OS? Can we setup virtual NIC and BIOS that supports boot from NIC? Or are there better methods which I'm not awared of?

0 Kudos
mittim12
Immortal
Immortal

You can set the Cd-Rom of the vitual machine to utilize your desktop CD-ROM or point it to an ISO to install the OS. This would be done through the VI client which was mentioned in the post above.

If you found this or any other post helpful please consider the use of the Helpful/Correct buttons to award points

grob115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks!

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You don't mention firewalls/routers/VPNs. How will you be accessing your server? You don't want to expose the ESXi management port. It is

Using the vSphere client or the standalone converter you can install an existing appliance. From the client you can access the datastore with the datastore browser and upload ISO files. I would install at least one Windows machine on the other end to facilitate local uploads and management. Use RDP to connect to the remote Windows console and manage from there. The vSphere client is not the most appropriate for long distance management.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
grob115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Right I have been thinking about security as well. This is going to be for a webserver so the port over which vSphere client and ESXi communicates will be opened to worldwide. I'm going to be manage it from home behind a router that is assigned a dynamic IP by the local ISP. I guess it's not feasible to put in the iptables a specific IP from which ESXi can expect a connection from? In fact, is there even any control on iptables on the ESXi host level given that it's such a lean software?

Is the vSphere not good at uploading ISO files and installing a guest VM's OS by reading the OS installer CD on my home PC, or it's also not good for management in general when it's long distance away from ESXi? How about VMware GO?

I can get a Wolverine firewall for an extra $50/month but not sure what it can do or what I can configure it to do as I know zero about programming firewalls.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Edited Wrong post.

ESXi has no firewall and so becomes rather vulnerable. The firewall should be a real priority. You should be able to get help from the hosting company on setting up your server.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Installing across the WAN using a local CD will be painfully slow. Also the vSphere protocol is considerably fatter than RDP. Managing can be done with the client but will depend on the bandwidth between locations and the reliability of that bandwidth.

0 Kudos
grob115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Thanks. What type of setup should I be expecting from having a hardware firewall? Also, wouldn't it be the same to just having a normal (ie no ESXi) setup with the ssh port still open to world?<!Session data>

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

A firewall can protect the VMs as well as your ESXi management port. A firewall can detect unusual behavior, port scanning, failed login attempts etc. Depending on capabilities you could use a VPN through the firewall to access the management port. Since the ESXi host has no firewall capabilities and no way to combat hacking attempts it could easily be overwhelmed.

0 Kudos
grob115
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Okay I think I'm going with one. Hivelocity has the Wolverine firewall available which supports VPN. Hopefully they can issue me a token.

0 Kudos