VMware Cloud Community
FrantzCollini08
Contributor
Contributor

IDE to SCSI conversion problems

Hi,

How can i do for the conversion of IDE disk to SCSI without have any problems? i try it with vmware converter 4 and the job has successfull, but when i start my new vm the system doesn't boot....

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
3 Replies
mudha
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

can you please explanin in more?

0 Kudos
FrantzCollini08
Contributor
Contributor

Yes, i have a physical server with IDE disk to convert to virtual machine with SCSI disk.... I use vconverter 4: i run the job that do conversion P2V and it's successfull.... After i run the new virtual machine and in that moment I have a problem beacuse the O.S. doesn't boot.... I see this error: "cannot read the disk. press CTRLALTCANC"... I supposed that the conversion from IDE disk to SCSI disk has caused this problem.... after, I have tryed to boot with windows cd for trying the restore of the OS (fix boot and fix mrb) but it has no positive result....

0 Kudos
mayiask
Contributor
Contributor

May I ask why convert to SCSI?

Of course it is faster, but most likely effort prohibitive.

ESX 4i does support IDE for VM, by default for XP and (believe or not) even for Linux.

Little out of the box thinking - forget vmware converter, but create dummy VM with type of Windows XP , add empty IDE drive and then use g4u to slurpdisk over existing IDE drive on existing VM.

0 Kudos