VMware Cloud Community
ITTropolis
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

IP Address Initially Obtained by ESX4i via DHCP still pingable

Hi:

I initially installed ESX4i with the defaulted DHCP setting and it obtained an address.  I since set the management network to a static IP out of the DHCP scope.  Now if I run a network scan I'm still seeing the old address obtained via DHCP, and the MAC address happens to be 1 digit above the MAC addresses of the two NICs on this machine, making me think it's this machine.  Also, the this old address is pingable.  My DHCP server is not showing a lease for the address, thus I'm worried it may try to assign it out and create a conflict.  Note that my network scan shows NIC 1's MAC address for the new management network's static IP.  Note that I have both NICs connected to my network and I added both to the VM Network.

Thanks for any insights!

0 Kudos
8 Replies
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Welcome to the Communities

I would try restarting the network from the DCUI interface. Use the testing facility from the DCUI interface to test the network.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
jamesbowling
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

This may be a dumb question but have you attempted to reboot the host to see if it still there?  Also, you could possibly, if the host isn't in production right now, unplug the management interfaces and try pinging the DHCP IP to see if it is.  The other possible way is to login to the ESXi via ssh and look at the IPs that it thinks that it has. 

James B. | Blog: http://www.vSential.com | Twitter: @vSential --- If you found this helpful then please awards helpful or correct points accordingly. Thanks!
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Are you sure that the DHCP address has not now been allocated elsewhere on your network - and thus some other host is now responding?

try ping -a <ip address>  - see if it resolves a hostname for you.

Alternatively, check your DHCP server to see where the IP was allocated.

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
fb3a
Contributor
Contributor

i hav found the problem after 6 day of varius test.

before install vmware 4.1 upd 1, i have installed the new fw for the server from the dvd FW Maintenance 9.30

in this dvd is present this "new" fw for the ethernet adapter qlogic 4 port:

HP NC-Series QLogic Online Firmware Upgrade Utility v4.0.544

but NOT WORK correctly...DON'T INSTALL ....

i downgrade the fw to ver 4.0.534 contained in the dvd FW Maintenance 9.20

you must force install, reboot and after this operation the network work , the dhcp take the ip from the server, and the ip static respond from ping...

finally is all ok.....

but what a stress for my brain....

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

Glad you are up and going. Many thanks for updating the post.

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

I would always check the the HP site for updates to the FW Maintenance CD. The CD is just a collection of updates and does not always address individual updates for specific OSs including ESX(i). I would check the Drivers and Downloads page for your server model and ESX(i). There are critical FW updates that are later than the 9.30

0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

Marked as assumed answered

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
fb3a
Contributor
Contributor

sorry but i'm watching the hp site, here:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=it&cc=it&prodNameId=3884311&...

but if you are referring this article:

** CRITICAL ** HP NC-Series QLogic P3P Flash Update Kit

i have tried to install but, i cannot install because the FW is not for NC375i (the network card installed on PCIe),

but the FW is for :

**** ONLY FOR HP NC525m/CN1000Q/NC523SFP CNA Adapters ****

as described in the readme in the ISO image of this update

0 Kudos