VMware Cloud Community
msanjay196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ideal HP server and spec's to run VMWare Esx4i

Hi,

We are looking to buy a HP new server which will run VMWare Esx4i. I wanted to find out what would be the ideal server and specifications needed.

The server will run 3 to 4 virtual machines, one which one will be a win2K3 domain controller, one will be MS GreatPlains, one a light weight machine and the fourth VM will be MS Win2K3 Terminal server.

How much memory should I be doing at? What about the array controller, and Hard drive setup (RAID 5, RAID 1) etc.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AntonVZhbankov
Immortal
Immortal

DL360 with 8-10 GB or RAM and a couple of SATA disks in RAID1 is enough I think. Or BL460c if you're using blades.

---

VMware vExpert '2009

http://blog.vadmin.ru

EMCCAe, HPE ASE, MCITP: SA+VA, VCP 3/4/5, VMware vExpert XO (14 stars)
VMUG Russia Leader
http://t.me/beerpanda
0 Kudos
bulletprooffool
Champion
Champion

I am a big fan of the DL380 G6s and would recomend them if the budget can stretch there.

Going forward you'd be able to cram loads of RAM into them, also, they provide enough Drive bays for a starter.

P600 or P800 controller if you can .

Quickest Drives you can afford, set them up Raid 5, with an additional spare.

The big question is how hard does your TS work?

Price up the different memory configs and work out what is in your budget . . TS can chew RAM - also make sure to review the HP docs . . as different size memory chips in different configs will make operate at different speeds!

One day I will virtualise myself . . .
0 Kudos
msanjay196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

can you elaborate a bit more on

". .as different size memory chips in different configs will make operate

at different speeds!"

Thanks

The big question is how hard does your TS work?

Price up the different memory configs and work out what is in your

budget . . TS can chew RAM - also make sure to >review the HP docs . .

as different size memory chips in different configs will make operate

at different speeds!

0 Kudos
msanjay196
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got the following response from my HP reseller - not sure why. Regarding the P600 and P800 array controller question

"As per HP, DL380 ship standard with the newest smart array controller, the P410. There is no reason given the configuration to replace or add one of these older controllers"

0 Kudos
DSTAVERT
Immortal
Immortal

You will be just fine with the P410. Make sure you get the BBWC (battery cache) option. There is a huge performance penalty without it.

-- David -- VMware Communities Moderator
0 Kudos
GregBradley
Contributor
Contributor

I totally agree.

P410/512 with BBWC is keeping up with my latest install. Dual 5530, 24Gb running AD Primary, AD secondary + print server for 16 printers, SQL2005, File Server, Exchange Server, Linux Firewall, Terminal Server for 5 users. That is 7 VMs for 40 heavy users. Interesting test with 15K drives showed no noticeable improvement.

BBWC is critical part!

0 Kudos