VMware Cloud Community
A-I-A
Contributor
Contributor

Inquiry Regarding Network Card Driver Compatibility in VMware ESXi 8.x

Dear VMware Community,

I am currently in the process of setting up VMware ESXi 8.x for our home infrastructure, and I have encountered some concerns regarding the compatibility of our network card.

Our network card model is the 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10A7]. On the VMware compatibility site, it was indicated that this network card was supported from VMware ESXi 6.5 marked with a '+'. This led me to believe that all subsequent versions from ESXi 6.5 onward would inherently support this adapter. However, upon attempting to deploy VMware ESXi 8.x, it appears there might be a discrepancy in driver compatibility.

Regrettably, my household budget does not allow for the purchase of new equipment or replacements. The machine has another adapter, the "RTL8125 2.5GbE Controller [10EC:8125]", which I found to be incompatible with VMware ESXi. Due to this, the Intel network card was purchased, presuming it would be compatible. The machine is equipped with a "13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-13500" processor, which also posed some compatibility issues initially. However, I managed to find a solution from various forums and communities.

Our system is based on the "ASRock B760 Pro RS" motherboard.

Could you kindly assist in providing information about:

1. The current status of driver compatibility for the 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10A7] in VMware ESXi 8.x.
  2. Clarification on the compatibility representation on the VMware site, indicating support for this network card from ESXi 6.5 onward.
  3. Any alternative solutions or recommended approaches to ensure compatibility with this network card in VMware ESXi 8.x.

Additionally, if the driver is not natively supported in VMware ESXi 8.x, are there any workarounds or suggested steps that might help us address this issue?

Your guidance or information in resolving this compatibility issue would be immensely appreciated.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

Sincerely,
Andrey Angelov

0 Kudos
3 Replies
reptw144
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

The 82575EB Gigabit Network Connection [8086:10A7] has been discontinued.

https://www.intel.la/content/www/xl/es/download/19373/adapter-user-guide-for-intel-ethernet-adapters...

In that document, you can search for your device. The maximum compatible version is 6.7. You can also try using it, but it would be at your own risk.

I used to run some labs with old workstations and was unable to install ESXi 8 (from the same era as your device). However, if you are using a newer processor, it might work. For home labs, it could be feasible, but if it's for a production environment, you should avoid using it. Again, it's at your own risk.

0 Kudos
A-I-A
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply,
But isn't there a project or additional port support from linux drivers (like the support was in 6.5).
Or some extended support option. I see that older cards are supported.
In Linux Mint 21.2 I see that both my adapters are supported.
Motherboard, CPU and card were purchased this year.
Basically, the system will be used as a home server.
At the moment I did not see any possibility from where one can download ESXI 6.7 ISO and get a key for free version because 6.x . is suspended from support and for 7.x in forums I see that it says that it does not support a port of drivers from linix.

reptw144
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

You can download the iso from here: https://customerconnect.vmware.com/downloads/info/slug/datacenter_cloud_infrastructure/vmware_vspher...

The way to get there if the link brokes is:

1.- log in to vmware customer connect https://customerconnect.vmware.com/home

2.- search in downloads for vmware vsphere.

3.- There is a button where you can change the versión of esxi to download, 6.5 stil available:

reptw144_0-1700353817069.png

Also check this if you have any problems, here you can register for an evaluation license: https://customerconnect.vmware.com/en/evalcenter?p=free-esxi7

Kind regards!

0 Kudos