VMware Cloud Community
jgover
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Intel ARK Intel Xeon Processor E5-2620 v3 Confused on CPU calculations.

Hi,

I know this topic is tiresome but the I am not certain of ESXi count. I now have to purchase new servers, which I have not in a long time. Intel base CPU are using Cores and Threads. Intel Xeon Processor E5-2620 v3, Cores=6; Threads=12 and has Hyper-threading as well.

As defined by Intel:

Cores is a hardware term that describes the number of independent central processing units in a single computing component (die or chip).

Threads, is a software term for the basic ordered sequence of instructions that can be passed through or processed by a single CPU core.

Would the total number of CPU cores on a ESXi Host be 6*12=72? or 6 if Threads do not count in the calculation; which is my guess?

Would the total number of logical CPUs on a ESXi Host? (6*12)*2=144? or 12 if Threads do not count in the calculation;which is my guess?

http://ark.intel.com/products/83352/Intel-Xeon-Processor-E5-2620-v3-15M-Cache-2_40-GHz

Thanks

DRUMDUDESAN

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Each physical core can basically handle one thread at a time. With HyperThreading enabled it's 2 thread's per physical core.

So 12 threads is the  result of:

6 Cores x 2 Threads each = 12 threads in total

which shows up as 12 logical CPUs in vSphere.

André

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Each physical core can basically handle one thread at a time. With HyperThreading enabled it's 2 thread's per physical core.

So 12 threads is the  result of:

6 Cores x 2 Threads each = 12 threads in total

which shows up as 12 logical CPUs in vSphere.

André

0 Kudos