VMware Cloud Community
friendlyguy
Contributor
Contributor

Intel / Oracle DC P4608 NVMe and ESXi 8

Hi there!

I am trying to put together a home lab to play with the new VMWare 8 Products: ESXi, vCenter, VSAN8 ESA...
I have 3 Dell R740s to play with. I recently bought Intel DC P4608 NVMe Cards though ebay which turned out to be rebranded cards from Oracle: Which is a big big BIG pain once it gets to Firmware Updates: I cant get them.
(Believe me, i tried everything i can think of. I even reached out to oracle to get a support contract that would give me access to firmware updates... BUT: they dont sell to private persons.) So, i think i am stuck with the firmware currently on those cards.

Nevertheless: I installed them and gave them a try. They do get recognized, but... only half of it.
Each card should give me 2x3,2 TB of Storage, but currently only 1x 3.2 TB per card get recognized.

I am wondering if you guys maybe know a way i could make it happen?
They work fine on windows os, and since a very recent update to proxmox they do work there as well.
I cant return those cards so... from my perspective: all i can do now is wait and hope "something" changes with esxi which would get them detected them correctly.

Any ideas?

Kind regards

0 Kudos
3 Replies
friendlyguy
Contributor
Contributor

This is how it looks like under adapters:

friendlyguy_2-1692271610988.png

But as soon as i go under "devices" only two 3.2 tb disks appear.

friendlyguy_1-1692271566866.png

0 Kudos
Sachchidanand
Expert
Expert

Are you getting the same number of NVME under devices as under the adapter tab. Sometimes a single PCIe card is havind dual controller and you have to create RAID0 to achieve full capacity.

Regards,

Sachchidanand

0 Kudos
friendlyguy
Contributor
Contributor

sadly: only two are shown. Take a look at the screenshot in my last post.

Thanks for your input nevertheless

0 Kudos