VMware Cloud Community
MosheFriedman
Contributor
Contributor

Iscsi Problems ESX 5

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

On one of my Hosts (FriedmanPE-VM-4), which was converted from 4.1 to 5.0  all 8 ISCSI LUN’s appear and the VMFS 5.0 (SYSTEMS-5) data store appears.  How ever of my other Host (FriedmanPE-VM-1) which was a FRESH install of ESXi 5, the LUN’s Appear (see Below) but the DATA STORE (SYSTEMS-5) does not and I get this error

Login to iSCSI target iqn.2011-8.com.friedmanpe:

Backup.iscsi0.vg0.ibackup1 on vmhba34 @ vmk2

failed. The iSCSI initiator could not establish a

network connection to the target.

error

8/31/2011 10:23:02 AM

friedmanpe-vm-1.friedmanpe.com

FriedmanPE-VM-1

FriedmanPE-VM-1 #1.png

FriedmanPE-VM-1 #2.png

FriedmanPE-VM-4

FriedmanPE-VM-4 #1.png

Moshe M. Friedman, PE
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
khorheesoo
Contributor
Contributor

I think you are using a QNAP NAS box right? IF I am right the iscstgt in the QNAP OS needs to be upgraded....

0 Kudos
MosheFriedman
Contributor
Contributor

No it is a THECUS Nas Box, and the Problem seems top have fixed itself.  I had a particu;llary bad Network card which seems to have screwed the system.  Thank you

Moshe

Moshe M. Friedman, PE
0 Kudos
amorison
Contributor
Contributor

We have also completed an upgrade from 4.1 to 5.0 and have what appears to be exactly the same problem..

2x HP DL380 G7's

1x Pair of HP P4300..

Has not missed a beat with 4.1 or earlier, but once we upgraded the second server to ESX 5.0, I lost the datastores.. I can see the LUNS, they are actually listed, but no datastores.. Very weird and a little frightning.. Anyones?

12-09-2011 9-49-24 AM.png

ESX02 - VMDK's  - OK

12-09-2011 9-49-52 AM.png

ESX02 - LUNS - OK

12-09-2011 9-50-09 AM.png

ESX01 - Datastores - Missing

12-09-2011 9-50-25 AM.png

ESX01 - LUNS - OK

0 Kudos
MosheFriedman
Contributor
Contributor

We seemed to solve this problem, by manually mounting the datastores on each HOST. Turn on SSH, and use the mount command.

Moshe

Moshe M. Friedman, PE
0 Kudos
Jaikudo
Contributor
Contributor

we had the same problem and what seems to fixed it was, in under vswitch for iscsi unticking override swtich fail over order, scanning datastore, and then ticking override switch fail over order (ordering it in the order it was before).

I have filed a support to see what seems to be the problem.. as sometimes it loses datastore when you restart host. which takes quite long to boot.. thats another problem i guess.

I have a feeling its something to do with path policy for san iscsi hmm..

0 Kudos
lombardialess
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

i have the same issues with a HP DL385 G7 and one hp P2000 g3...did you have receive some answer from the VMware support???

Thank you

0 Kudos
lombardialess
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Nobody as received an answer from the VMware support or have resolved this issue???

Thanks

Ale

0 Kudos
Jaikudo
Contributor
Contributor

check the last reply.. there is an update patch.

It might fix your problem

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1889132#1889132

0 Kudos