VMware Cloud Community
smalladmin
Contributor
Contributor

Looking for advice regarding ESXi VDI

My client has 4 locations that are connected by a vpn link we currently run standard desktops however we are seeking to convert to a VDI situation, currently we have 3-4 desktops at each remote location and 7 machines at the head office total of twenty machines...

now for the plan

3 new servers one at each of the remote locations runing vmware esxi 4.1

amd operton 4122 2.2ghz quad core cpu

asus KCMA-D8 motherboard

1 tb or storage in a raid 1

12gb of 1333mhz

At the head end I have a an hp ml350 with 12 gb of ram that is running server 2008 as an active directory PDC but is only utilized for user logons and remote administration of the machines so minimal load I intend to convert this to a esxi server and install the PDC as a virtual machine

The goal

virtualize all the desktops to all 4 servers having cold spares of the machines at each locationso in the event of a failed esxi server at one location I could bring them online at another location and reroute the clients, the current desktops have very little dynamic data they are actually just cash register stations runing a single application

I am not looking for auto failover I understand that is possible but it is not really necessary

I am a microsoft partner so I have access to the necessary microsoft VDA licensing for the virtual desktops

Now for the question or questions

first I will be ustilizing the existing desktops as the clients for the virtual desktops but the machines will no longer be used locally, what should I use as the client to log into the virtual desktop prefer a free solution but decent performance network is GB Ethernet wan links between locations are ipsec vpn tunnels using highspeed cable 15+mbit

Second are the above servers satisfactory for my needs I have read the sizing faq but want verification of my understanding

Third any additional factors should address

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
0 Replies