VMware Cloud Community
jjlinton
Contributor
Contributor

Lost connectivity when adding second NIC to vswitch

We are attempting to set up a new ESXi 4.1u1 environment with HP BL460 Blades.  We are using Flex 10 virtual connect modules as interconnects.  The problem I am having is that I can connect to the esx host as long as I only have 1 NIC in the vswitch, as soon as  I add a second NIC to the vSwitch all connectivity is lost.

I have checked all my setting for the virtual connect modules and they are the same.  no traffic passes through the second interconnect module.  I must be missing something but I can't figure out what it could be.

any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Josh26
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hi,

What network balancing algorithm are you using? Since the two FlexNICs connect to separate physical switches, there is no way to configure them for, for example, "route by IP hash", and expect them to work.

0 Kudos
bilalhashmi
Expert
Expert

I bet you have an issue with the path on the 2nd nic.. just to confirm, disconnect the first nic and just leave the 2nd one in there, I bet you will still be down. I would start with ensuring that you are able to reach out using both paths and also look into what the above post has mentioned once you can confirm that the networking elements from the 2nd nic all the way to ur physical switch and beyond are in place.

Follow me @ Cloud-Buddy.com

Blog: www.Cloud-Buddy.com | Follow me @hashmibilal
0 Kudos