VMware Cloud Community
TheVMinator
Expert
Expert

Maximum vCPUs per logical cores

What is the maximum number of vCPUs that are recommended per logical core?  If I am NOT contstrained in terms of available GHz, when are there "too many"  vCPUs  logical core?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

IMO this mainly depends on the physical resources and the capabilities of the guest OS itself. Regarding host usage there's no difference between vCPUs and cores-per-socket other than the presentation to the guest.

André

virtualbuddy
Contributor
Contributor

In vSphere 5.1

Maximum vCPU's per host is 2048

Maximum vCPU's per core is 25

In vSphere 4.1

Maximum vCPU's per host is 512

Maximum vCPU's per core is 25

0 Kudos
Lewis00
Contributor
Contributor

I would like to ask for my own clarification regarding the vCPU to core aspect. Is core in this case referring to logical cores (logical processor) or physical core? I ask due to the below section taken from the "Virtual CPU Limitations" section of the vSphere Documentation Center. The reference to the hyperthreaded proc being called a "logical core" is what I am referring too. What I am trying to determine is the very thing that the TheVMinator has asked.

"A virtual machine cannot have more virtual CPUs than the
number of logical cores on the host. The number of logical cores is equal to the
number of physical cores if hyperthreading is disabled or two times that number
if hyperthreading is enabled."

Thank you much for any information.

0 Kudos
weinstein5
Immortal
Immortal

It would be 25 vCPUs that is referenced in virtualbuddy's answer since a Logical CPU equates to a core whether it is a phyical core or a hyperthread -

If you find this or any other answer useful please consider awarding points by marking the answer correct or helpful
0 Kudos
Lewis00
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you much.

0 Kudos