VMware Cloud Community
Lexcom
Contributor
Contributor

Multiple VMFS datastores on Local Disk?

ESXi 5 intalled and made a 256GB local VMFS partition. It is sitting on a 12.5TB RAID6 LUN (all local storage).

I want to use the local storage as a backup target for one of my VMs but I cannot expand the local datastore or create new datastores on this LUN.

What is the proper sequence for creating more VMFS datastores on this local disk?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

VMware supports only one VMFS datastore per LUN/logical disk. I didn't try to expand a VMFS partition (datastore) on a local disk in ESXi 5.0 myself yet. However, I guess you will either have to delete the existing datastore and create a new (larger) one or - as in previous versions - grow he existing datastore manually. In previous versions this was done by modifying the partition size using fdisk (you will need to use partedUtil with ESXi 5.0) and then resizing the datastore using vmkfstools.

I have not seen a walkthrough for ESXi 5.0 yet, but you can take a look at e.g. http://deinoscloud.wordpress.com/2010/05/03/how-to-increase-the-size-of-a-local-datastore-on-an-esxi... to see what you may need to do to resize the datastore manually.

André

0 Kudos
wallisonfgt
Contributor
Contributor

I'm having the same problem.
I have a 5 TB disk and one data store 1.5 TB.
I want to use the other 3.5TB to create another datastore.
This really is not possible?
I have to delete the datastore and create another?
Thank you in advance.
Thank you.
0 Kudos