VMware Cloud Community
AlanRaczek1
Contributor
Contributor

Need standalone esxi 6.7 free license

Hi, we have a small project and need to run several VM's . We were thinking about using the free license of ESXi. We would want to

use ESXI 6.7 and a free license if this is possible. Can anyone shed some light on how I can get a download and license for this? Thanks.

...Alan

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello @AlanRaczek1,

ESXi 6.7 reached End of Life and because of this, licenses are no longer available, however, if you have the ISO, you could install it and once the trial time expires (60 days) you can use the free license, however, you will not be able to manage it with vCenter if that is what you want.

0 Kudos
AlanRaczek1
Contributor
Contributor

The developer using this will only run several VM's and I am sure vCenter is not needed. My issue is how do I get a free license for 6.7 if indeed it is still available? If not it seems the only free license the web page brings me to is V8. So I am stumped.

0 Kudos
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hello,

Comment edited to remove its content as it no longer serves the context of this discussion.

Regards.

0 Kudos
Lalegre
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@AlanRaczek1,

If you have the ISO you can install the ESXi and after trial expires will switch to free mode, if you do not have the ISO I believe you have no other option that get a supported version, at least 7.

0 Kudos
MatthewX1986
Contributor
Contributor

So even though my processor does not support EUFI, meaning i'm being forced to upgrade not only the esxi, but the server as well? WHAT IN THE HELL? i can't even register my esxi now!

Proliant 380 G7

0 Kudos
LisandrodeCuba
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi,

I have to agree with @Lalegre Install with ISO and then use the free license. Can’t be managed with vcenter unfortunately.. Good luck

0 Kudos
Dahlton
Contributor
Contributor

I think I'm running into a similar issue, I am on version 6.7 and my evaluation license just ran out and it will not let me boot up any of my VMs. I don't need vCenter, is there any way I can get my VMs back up?

0 Kudos
flube
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

just download the eval

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Dahlton
Contributor
Contributor

Am I even still able to download the 6.7 eval? I had to get the Dell ISO as im running a PowerEdge R410. I expected it to just switch to the free version whenever the eval ran out, not lock me out of all of my VMs

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

No, you cannot evaluate 6.7 since it is no longer supported.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Dahlton
Contributor
Contributor

Am I just at mercy of my old hardware then? I believe I can only run 6.7 at the newest. Everything was running fine until the evaluation license ran out, all I need is to be able to power my VMs on. Is there any way I can do this?

0 Kudos
e_espinel
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Hello.
You could try to reinstall with the option to preserve VMFS. By reinstalling you will get a demo again for 60 days.

Remember that you should always have a full backup of your data, that means the backup of the VMs.

Ideally you should have a logical drive for the VMware vShpere (ESXi) and another logical drive for the data.

e_espinel_0-1690129958327.png

Enrique Espinel
Senior Technical Support on IBM, Lenovo, Veeam Backup and VMware vSphere.
VSP-SV, VTSP-SV, VTSP-HCI, VTSP
Please mark my comment as Correct Answer or assign Kudos if my answer was helpful to you, Thank you.
Пожалуйста, отметьте мой комментарий как Правильный ответ или поставьте Кудо, если мой ответ был вам полезен, Спасибо.
Dahlton
Contributor
Contributor

Much appreciated! That worked to give me some time to move everything. Much appreciated, that saved me a lot of time 

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Just remember there's a difference between evaluating the software (with no license) and running the software for a prolonged period with a vSphere Hypervisor (or some other) license.

You also have the option of a long-term "evaluation" with VMUG Advantage: https://www.vmug.com/membership/vmug-advantage-membership/

That wouldn't help you with running non-supported versions such as 6.7, but does mean you can build a multi-host home lab with central management through vCenter, rather than just a standalone ESXi host.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
Kinnison
Commander
Commander

Hi,

Correct, by subscribing to the "VMUG Advantage" program you can evaluate vSphere 6.x (and several other products) for more than the canonical 60 days, but be careful, because as indicated:

"Version 6.0 retiring from VMUG Advantage soon
The store front will no longer be updating the keys for the VMware 6.x family of products, all keys will expire by next April (2024) and when the current supply of keys is gone no more will be added".

Regards,
Ferdinando

NAXSIS
Contributor
Contributor

Hi. I try to get the 6.7 iso for free use ( not enterprise ) but can't get it ) can you give me the link i have old servers R610 like and vsphere 7 doesnt okey with it.

0 Kudos