VMware Cloud Community
ebrittain01
Contributor
Contributor

Network Card will not install Windows Server 2003 w/Vmware 4.0

We have a server that is running Windows Server 2003 SP2, and the network card will not install. We have tried changing the network adapters and everytime we get a prompt saying windows cannot install this hardware. Is this a vmware issue or should we contact microsoft? All our other servers are running fine with no issues. I should also state that this server was running with no issues, we only find out there was a problem when we went to change the ip address and we couldn't modify any of the networking properties. Thanks for any help on this.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
AsherN
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Are the VMTools installed?

Was this server P2V? if yes, did you remove the old hardware?

0 Kudos
ebrittain01
Contributor
Contributor

Yes the VMWare tools have been installed/uninstalled numerous times, it was originally a P2V but it has been working for about 8 months until this happened, and all the old hardware has been removed. It was an HP DL 360, and you get all kinds of services fail until you clean out the hp software and hardware.

0 Kudos
JimmyDean
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Was there anyother changes? I see you tryied to change the IP of the nic but was there any hot fixes applied? Have you tried to call vmware support?

J

0 Kudos
demean0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

You might try this...

Go to command prompt type "set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1". Hit Enter (obviously)

In same command prompt type devmgmt.msc

When Device Manager opens click View, Show Hidden Devices.

Remove any old network adapters listed.

There may be some conflicts that are causing the new adapter to not install.

0 Kudos
demean0r
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I just saw your post about removing all old hardware. If you did the steps above already then disregard my post.

0 Kudos
ebrittain01
Contributor
Contributor

no other changes other than trying to change the IP address, haven't called vmware support. I was hoping to see who the problem lies with, either vmware or microsoft.

0 Kudos