VMware Cloud Community
dbanks111
Contributor
Contributor

Network adapter issue?

About a month ago, my boss tasked me with getting an OS on a Poweredge. I ended up using ESXi 6.0. From there, I installed 4 VM's. They've all been running great. One of them acts as a DHCP, one has POV and SQL collecting data. Everything has been groovy.

As of 2 days ago, I lost all connection via the switch I'm connected to, that then connects to the server. Vmware Workstation and Vsphere alike both time out when trying to connect. When directly plugged into the server I can connect with no hassle. The switch shows that there the connection is coming through from the server, but my connection to it doesn't allow me to sign in.

I have meticulously gone over every setting I can think of on the ESXi, the dell server, and the PC I'm using to connect. Everything should be peachy keen but alas this isn't the case. I have been intermittently able to ping the server. The switch just got updated and factory reset. I think we can rule that out as the issue.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I just cannot seem to figure this out.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How many Network card  do you have ?

0 Kudos
hussainbte
Expert
Expert

If you have console access to the poweredge please share the output of below commands.

vmware -vl

esxcfg-nics -l

esxcfg-vswitch -l

ethtool -i vmnic0

If you found my answers useful please consider marking them as Correct OR Helpful Regards, Hussain https://virtualcubes.wordpress.com/
0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Welcome to the Community,

from what you say, the only thing that changed was the physical switch, so I wouldn't want to rule this out.

Maybe it will help if you explain how your current network setup looks like (physical as well as virtual), i.e. whether you are using a flat network, or have VLANs configured, ...

It would also be helpful if you can attach the physical switch configuration to a reply post, and mention which ports are used by the ESXi host, and your PCs.

André

0 Kudos
dbanks111
Contributor
Contributor

There are four ethernet slots available on the dell Poweredge.

Only one is being utilized by a cable to the network smart switch.

0 Kudos
dbanks111
Contributor
Contributor

I'm not entirely aware of the correct terminology, but here goes.

Physical:
I have a dell poweredge server, directly connected to a smart switch (trendnet), that then connects to PLC's all around the work floor.

Can't connect via a direct connection to the switch.

Virtual:
On this server I have ESXi 6.0 installed, and 5 virtual machines.

An XP, 3 Win 7's (one is imported and completely off the network), and a Win 10.

One win 7 is being used as a DHCP server, and the other as a data collection machine.
No VLAN's configured to my knowledge.

Only one ethernet port is being used off of the server (to the switch)

and there are 3 coming off the switch I'm in control of. (one to a pc, one to my laptop for working on VM's, and one back to the Server).

On the switch it reads it's getting a connection from all of them, but my laptop. But nothing has changed on my laptop

0 Kudos
dbanks111
Contributor
Contributor

I haven't been able to get access to that, admittedly because my focuses have been elsewhere. I will try this today and get back to you.

0 Kudos