VMware Cloud Community
efcfg
Contributor
Contributor

P2V ESXi 5.1.0 - Guest on Boot Continually Reverting to Previous Snapshot

Extremely urgent here unfortunately.

We used stand-alone converter our PDC (Server 2003 x64) that runs Exchange 2007 a week back to convert an aging and somewhat failing physical server. Everything went smoothly. After the conversion weincreased the memory and added a CPU, but noticed later in the week that those settings did not "stick."

During scheduled maintenance last night, we shut down the server and again attempted to change the settings for this guest, this time just the memory. Unfortunately those settings did not stick again. Every time this happened, we'd receive a message on bootup that not all services started and noticed that the NIC was not set to start (an original setting used during conversion so that the converted server would not be available via IP. The Exchange services were faililng to start due to the NIC being powered off.

Looking through logs in vSphere I see that the guest powers on, and then receives this error:

The execution state of the virtual machine has been reverted to
the state of snapshot Pre Hardware Expansion, with ID 8

The guest then shuts down. We haven't consistantly figured it out yet, but typically the next bootup works, especially if we do not try to change any of the guest settings in any way.

I'm stumped... any ideas? We have an entire site down right now and I got word that the last 8 days of emails were missing when someone connected earlier today. It looks like the snapshot it's reverting to is the one we made directly after the conversion... which is obviously no good. No snapshot reversions were performed so I'm at a loss at why this is happening.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Please provide the VM's configuration (.vmx) file as well as all the vmware*.log files to see whether they contain any hints. Compress/zip the files and attach them to a reply post.

André

0 Kudos
ramkrishna1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hi

Welcome to the communities.

How many snapshot do you have ?

Can you revrt to previous SNAPSHOT & see if still having the same problem .

"a journey of a thousand miles starts  with a single step."
0 Kudos
efcfg
Contributor
Contributor

I believe I found another person with the same issue; his workaround was to delete any snapshots for the server to boot correctly. I cloned the machine, confirmed all snapshots removed and was able to boot up mulitple time sucessfuly. However, I'd obviously like to be able to use snapshots so would like to look into this. Attached is the .vmx file and all log files from the original VM.

0 Kudos
CherryJee_SPSC
Contributor
Contributor

I had same issue lately as well

Any idea if this has been fixed ?

0 Kudos