VMware Cloud Community
Glasgerion
Contributor
Contributor

P420 Causing System Reboot

Hi All,

I am running ESXi 6.5 U2 on a HP ML350p Gen8, with 2 storage controllers that I am having trouble trying to passthrough to a VM.

I have a P420i and P420 both in HBA mode that I am attempting to pass to a VM. But each time I boot a VM that has one of these controllers connected, the whole system reboots with no obvious errors in the logs.

I have tried the controllers in HBA and Raid mode. Tried multiple VMs, it even occurs on fresh VMs with no OS. I have tried updating the nhpsa driver from 2.0.24 to 2.0.44. I have also tried it on ESXi 6.7 U2. All results in the system immediately rebooting as soon as the VM is powered on.

I am assuming the problem is caused by an incompatibility between the P420 and ESXi, even though the P420 and P420i are listed in the VSphere HCL.

Does anyone have any insight into this issue? I don't know weather I should be wasting my time trying new drivers or versions, or should I just buy other storage controllers.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ashishsingh1508
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

When you say system restarts, do you mean it crashes?

Check vobd.log and check if you see "rebooting" is mentioned. If its not then it means system is crashing and you may need to collect the dump to check the cause.

Ashish Singh VCP-6.5, VCP-NV 6, VCIX-6,VCIX-6.5, vCAP-DCV, vCAP-DCD
0 Kudos
Glasgerion
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply Ashish,

I checked the vobd.log and there is nothing in there about restarting. The are actually no entries at the time of the reboot. Looking through all of the logs and there is nothing that pops out.

I will pull the dump files and have a look there.

0 Kudos